You can find further details on their website https://www.fairtrade.net/
Chief Data Officer Role Profile
The Fairtrade system is recruiting a Chief Data Officer (CDO) at a unique moment - at the start of a new strategy period for 2021 to 2025 - and for a unique mission: shaping and leading the digital transformation of the Fairtrade system.
Data and information management in Fairtrade International will undergo major change over the next 5 years. The beginnings of a digital, data, and information (DDI) strategy exist and we are now looking for the right person to use their expertise to build on this work and to develop it into an ambitious, but deliverable, global strategy. Importantly, this will include helping us create, understand and implement the optimum structure for the delivery of the strategy.
The CDO will provide the vision as well as strategic, technical, and professional leadership for these DDI activities across the Fairtrade system. The CDO will lead the whole process of digital transformation to ensure that Fairtrade International makes the most of its global data and information assets to deliver value and impact.
The CDO will champion global data management, governance, quality, and vendor relationships across the enterprise. The CDO will oversee the enterprise information management, combining the accountability and responsibility for information protection and privacy, information governance, data quality, and data life cycle management, along with the exploitation of data assets to create value.
Reporting to the CEO, the CDO role will be responsible for:
1. Evaluating the current landscape of data collection in Fairtrade and the current infrastructure in existence. Designing and implementing new data infrastructure and processes required to collect data on the ground, so-called ‘first mile data’ in order to support decision making, funding opportunities, beneficiaries, and the Fairtrade network
2. Enabling an environment that makes data and information accessible to all stakeholders within Fairtrade and personnel and regulates how Fairtrade captures, maintains and presents data and information on a global level in order to benchmark and measure performance.
3. Championing digital transformation by managing the creation and implementation of the Fairtrade digital, data, and information (DDI) vision and strategy within the organisation, seeking opportunities to generate value. This vision and strategy will, indeed, take into account what has been done so far, existing data systems and services provided particularly by Fairtrade certification subsidiary, FLOCERT, and ongoing works by Fairtrade Members at the market side (national Fairtrade Organizations) and at the production side (Producers Networks).
4. Establishing and governing an Enterprise Data Roadmap with a decentralised, federated structure to include internal processes, use of third party or Big Data, and investments with a focus on how Fairtrade might monetize its data assets. Establishes the strategic direction for building the business’s data management program and optimising how the business uses data both internally and externally.
5. Creating a data culture by changing mindsets, ways of thinking, and ingrained practices while removing bottlenecks in accessing data and provide ready access to enterprise data; promoting data literacy where the data is in the proper and usable format for analysis, where analyses provide insight and knowledge, and where analysis results can be easily visualised.
6. Balancing the free flow of data with the safeguards that are necessary to protect sensitive data; eliminating data territorialism by promoting sharing; protecting/securing data via cybersecurity measures; ensuring regulatory compliance (e.g., the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation and California’s Consumer Privacy).
7. Improving data quality, as it is directly connected to a data value and data risk, by identifying investments and committing to data governance as a Fairtrade system responsibility (as opposed to just ICT being responsible). Organising and creating an environment that makes data and information accessible with appropriate channels of access controls.
8. Enhancing data analytics with the goal of using machine learning or AI as part of the analytics practice.
9. Fostering innovation and stewarding its implementation through advocating new technology investments or skills acquisition: analyze costs, value, and risk of information technology to advise the Fairtrade Leadership and suggest actions to harness data and information to gain a competitive advantage from our global assets and determine how best to leverage data assets that support the business’s strategy.
10. Leading the Fairtrade discussion on data ethics and defining a responsible data policy and standards; engaging with the international development community around responsible data.
11. Develop and facilitate the use of standard approaches (e.g. unit costing, cost-effectiveness) to improve the quality of data analysis and decision-making
1. Chair and lead the Fairtrade DDI Steering Committee, in close alignment with related sub-committees, that is accountable for the design and implementation of the Fairtrade Digital, Data and Information (DDI) strategy for the Fairtrade system in response and closely aligned to Fairtrade’s Global Strategy. This may include the creation and management of an information and communications technology (ICT) advisory panel to the DDI Steering Committee.
- Drive digital transformation innovation throughout the fairtrade system. Foster innovation and steward implementation through advocating new technology investments or skills acquisition. Analyse costs, value, and risk of information technology to advise the DDI Steering Committee – which gather the key internal stakeholders within Fairtrade - and suggest actions to harness data and information to gain a competitive advantage from its global assets
- Envision and work to implement the “Fair Ecosystem”, providing functional guidance to information and communications technology (ICT) professionals and other staff within the Fairtrade system.
- Provide specialized advice on the development and implementation of data and information systems, particularly on data governance in close coordination with the Global Data Governance Group. The CDO must be a leader in generating and supporting vibrant data organisation, technologies, processes, and policies within the Office of the CEO.
- Develop and deliver a framework for reporting against DDI Strategy objectives and targets.
- Steward our creating a central digital information Centre of Excellence that supports several different innovation hubs.
- Participate in defining the Fairtrade external brand on data, especially in relation to data ethics and responsible data.
- Advise on, governing enterprise and data monitoring
- Enable data availability, efficiency, and usability processes
2. The CDO will have the opportunity to develop and identify the appropriate team structure and organigram that will assist in facilitating the implementation of the new strategy. There will in time also be the opportunity to identify which existing teams may be managed by the CDO, as appropriate. Over time, the CDO may also have a more global ITC management role, creating the governance structure, clear standards, and similar elements across the Fairtrade system.
Qualifications and Experience
Data roadmap programme oversight
Executive-level data-driven strategies
Effectively communicate the status, value, and importance of data collection to executive members and staff
Driving change and providing consultation for senior business leadership and executives
Evidence of ability to respond to challenges presented by a multi-stakeholder system
Prior success in building a function from the start as the CDO role is a completely new function
Proven negotiating skills
Management experience in a global, multicultural organisation
Data governance and data governance process management
Data quality analytics monitoring and evaluation
Knowledge of relevant applications, big data solutions, and tools
Knowledge and expertise of US/EU privacy laws, including GDPR and CCPA (PIPEDA a plus)
Managing internal controls and security audits, including SOX, PCI, ISO 27001 and SOC-II
Advocating for data analytics value across a business and to diverse audiences
Conducting structured business analysis and generating well-defined requirements
Employing of contemporary data management and maturity assessment frameworks
Proficiency in data classification for security, usage, protection, and enterprise communication
Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in Information Science, Computer or Information Systems, Engineering or related field
Five or more years of experience in a similar senior role and ten years of senior management level experience
Ideal candidate will be a self-starter with excellent communication and negotiation skills, possess the gravitas to influence at the highest level
Experience of similar data systems and infrastructure, desirable, not essential
Track record of forging partnerships to maximise efficiencies, desirable
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time position within Fairtrade International with an initial 2 years contract.
The location is at the Fairtrade International offices in Bonn, Germany. A second location could be considered in a major European city where Fairtrade has a commercial office (e.g., London, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam/Utrecht, Zurich) but frequent visits to the Bonn office will be expected.
The office language is English.
The annual salary and remuneration package will be negotiated with the successful applicant commensurate with their skills and qualifications.
Start date: As quickly as possible
How to Apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please forward a copy of your CV in Microsoft Word format, along with any relevant documentation to Ms. Jamaine Geva, [email protected] OR use the Application Form below on or before 5 March 2021. Further information regarding the selection process will be given should you demonstrate sufficient relevant experience.
All information will be treated in the strictest confidence as we pride ourselves on our professional service.
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by Fairtrade International to undertake this assignment.