The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank with a mission to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia. Headquartered in Beijing, it began operations in January 2016 and has now grown to 100 approved members worldwide. By investing in sustainable infrastructure and other productive sectors in Asia and beyond, it will better connect people, services, and markets that over time will impact the lives of billions and build a better future.
For more information on AIIB, please visit: AIIB's website
AIIB’s 2018 Annual Report can be accessed here;
AIIB’s 2019 Organisational Structure can be viewed here.
AIIB has exclusively partnered with SRI Executive to support them with the appointment of an exceptional leader for the position of Chief Economist (Director General).
Chief Economist (Director General)
AIIB envisions the Chief Economist to lead the planning, implementation, and supervision of the Economics vision, strategy and work plan of the AIIB’s nascent Economics Department (the Department) in support of the AIIB goals.
The Chief Economist (Director General) will:
- Oversee AIIB’s assessment of macro and regional economic and financial issues, support other AIIB units with economic analyses/input.
- Actively promote research on sector policy and economic development issues of short, medium, and long-term relevance to the Asia region including areas of strategic concern to AIIB.
- Oversee and actively disseminating AIIB's flagship publications and other publications on economics and financial issues prepared by the Department.
- Oversee the economic analysis for proposed AIIB financings.
- Develop and maintain AIIB’s country/sector database and needs assessments.
- Act as the chief spokesperson of AIIB on sector and development issues of importance to the region.
- Build and maintain a network of partnerships with academic institutions, think-tanks and consultant companies to support AIIB’s lean business model.
- Keep AIIB's Board and Senior Management informed of emerging policy developments and challenges.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Chief Economist will have the following key responsibilities:
Leadership and Strategic Management
- Establish and promote the Department's vision, goals, development strategies and key result in support of AIIB's objectives and in compliance with AIIB policies.
- Provide leadership in professional and operational matters, taking the lead in introducing new or innovative approaches to policy and operational issues.
- Oversee the planning, implementation, and supervision of the Department's work programs as well as monitor the quality of outputs, achievement of long-term goals and annual objectives for the department.
- Anticipate the Department’s resource requirements and ensure the efficient allocation of budget and resources.
- Oversee the effective coordination and cooperation with other AIIB departments and internal stakeholders.
- Lead the planning, coordination, and execution of the research activities of AIIB, including collaborative research with other institutions.
- Oversee the provision of analytical support and macroeconomic analysis to operations and other departments.
- Oversee the development of appropriate methodologies for the conduct and monitoring of economic analysis for country engagements, investment projects, and programs.
- Oversee the periodic review on a continuing basis for the economic analysis of projects and other economic research and development support work being carried out in AIIB.
- Oversee the collection of statistical data to maintain a database and provide related support services.
- Create and lead multi-disciplinary teams and ensure the overall quality of its work
- Manage the performance of teams and individuals providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to team and individuals and ensure their on-going learning and development.
Supervisor: Vice President, Policy and Strategy
The following staff positions may be supervised by the incumbent: Manager and staff of the Economics Department
Qualifications and Experience
Doctorate degree, or equivalent, in Economics, Finance, Public/Business Administration or related fields. Master's degree in Economics combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Doctorate degree
Suitability to undertake the responsibilities mentioned above at the required level
At least 15 years of relevant experience with an excellent track record of economic research and publications in internationally refereed journals
Established reputation in international academic circles and ability to project the role of AIIB as a regional leader in the development
Sound planning, management, and administrative skills together with superior interpersonal negotiating skills
Demonstrated performance in creating, motivating and leading diverse teams of highly qualified professionals
Good knowledge of multilateral development bank's organizational policies and procedures including budgeting and human resource management
Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
International experience working in development in several countries
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time position with a 3-year renewable contract. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. A pension plan, life, and medical insurances are included in the benefits package. *
If you wish to be considered for this position, please forward a copy of your CV in Microsoft Word format, along with any relevant documentation to Ms. Apoorva Tyagi at [email protected] on or before December 16th, 2019. All information will be treated in the strictest confidence as we pride ourselves on our professional service. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.