Director, Market Access
About the TB Alliance
TB Alliance is an international product development partnership (PDP) created to accelerate the development and adoption of urgently needed new anti-tuberculosis (TB) drugs. As a not-for-profit organization, TB Alliance functions through strategic relationships with pharmaceutical companies, academic institutions, research labs, and governmental agencies, and deploys preferred service providers for contract research. Based in New York City, TB Alliance also operates a satellite office in Pretoria, South Africa, focused on clinical trials management.
TB Alliance is preeminent in the TB drug development field and is pursuing faster, simpler treatments for all forms of TB through the innovative PDP business model that bridges the expertise and functionality of industry with academic and public-sector interests to meet a major unmet global health need.
With an annual operating budget of approximately $60 million, TB Alliance leads the advancement of the most comprehensive R&D portfolio of TB drug candidates in history. Currently, a portfolio of more than 20 projects spans from target validation to Phase III clinical development. Additionally, TB Alliance drives efforts to ensure regulatory approval, country adoption of new regimens, and widespread availability of new drug regimens to patients.
Tuberculosis kills nearly 1.5 million each year. Yet, current treatments are antiquated, inadequate, and excessively burdensome. Long, demanding treatment schedules prove too much for many patients, leading to the emergence of multi- and extensively- drug-resistant TB (MDR-TB and XDR-TB), which are exponentially more expensive and difficult to treat.
You can find further details on their website www.tballiance.org.
Meet current CEO: Dr. Melvin Spigelman.
This role holds a unique opportunity: To prioritize in low- and middle-income countries, especially those with high incidence of tuberculosis, the access of a new pretomanid-containing treatment: BPaL. “FDA approval of this treatment represents a victory for the people suffering from these highly drug-resistant forms of the world’s deadliest infectious disease.” - Mel Spigelmal
Director, Market Access
The Director, Market Access will be responsible for implementation of market interventions, contributing to rapid introduction, and broad access to novel TB regimens in low- and middle-income countries especially those with high incidence of tuberculosis.
The position is broad in scope, with interventions at global, regional and country level, in collaboration with technical, global health and commercial partners, and will play a pivotal role in creating global access to TB Alliance developed regimens.
The Market Access function at the TB Alliance includes all elements on the value chain including supplier relationship management, pricing strategy, forecasting, market understanding, resource mobilization, support for policy change, regulatory issues, diagnostics as well as technical adoption-related issues.
The opening is happening at an exciting time for new TB regimens. Regulatory approval for a novel, short, all-oral regimen for XDR-TB has recently been obtained, and work is ongoing to support planning for a forthcoming short regimen for both DS and MDR-TB.
The position reports to the Senior Vice President, Market Access of TB Alliance.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Director, Market Access will have the following key responsibilities:
- Coordinate with local agencies, technical partners, commercial partners and global health stakeholders for design and implementation of in-country and regional access initiatives in select high priority countries.
- To identify novel opportunities to advance access in select high priority countries and help develop collaborations to actualize the same, including access and uptake financing.
- Foster and manage relationships in select high priority countries to support objectives of the Alliance.
- Help design market research and other exercises to generate evidence to support adoption and uptake of novel TB medicines.
- Responsible for compliance with applicable GxP regulations in performing the functions of the job, including attendance at annual GxP or other applicable regulatory trainings provided by TB Alliance.
Qualifications and Experience
- 10+ years’ professional experience in product or service development and launch in emerging markets and developing countries.
- Experience and deep understanding of current TB landscape, including bottlenecks and solutions to implementation of TB treatments in high burden countries, highly preferred.
- Working knowledge of public health systems and private health care treatment in countries with high incidence of tuberculosis.
- Networks and strong relationships in high burden countries, at least in one key region.
- Understanding of concepts of market research applied to design solutions to public health issues.
- Relevant educational background; MPH or MBA or other relevant advanced degree.
- Ability to absorb and synthesize a broad range of information, especially clinical and scientific information.
- Ability to think strategically, handle ambiguity, problem solve, collaborate with a small team, and work across several projects concurrently.
- Excellent project management, communication and analytical skills.
- Commitment to global health and neglected diseases, specifically TB.
Terms of Appointment
- This is a full-time position. The position will be ideally based in New York, USA.
- TB Alliance is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TB Alliance is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
Key Steps in the Selection Process*
- If you wish to formally be considered for this position, please forward a Cover Letter and Resume in Microsoft Word format, along with any additional relevant documentation, to Ms. Sidney Moss at [email protected]. All information will be in the strictest confidence as we pride ourselves on our professional service. We will revert to you as soon as feasible once we have received and reviewed your application.
- Should you wish to explore this position confidentially before deciding to apply, please reach out to Ms. Sidney Moss at [email protected] and share that you would like to speak with the lead Consultant on this search, Ms. Adriana Robles, Americas Director. All conversations will remain strictly confidential.
- During the recruitment process, SRI Executive Search will require your cooperation in completing a Competency Profile. You will also be requested to participate in a number of telephone or Skype conversations with the team to ensure there is a clear understanding of the terms of reference and also an appropriate “fit” for you and TB Alliance .
- Should you be selected for the finalist interview panel we will at that time require that you provide us with full details of three people who are willing to act as a referee. We will not contact these referees without your express permission.
- Should both the parties wish to proceed an interview with the Selection Committee will take place. The face-to-face interview with the committee will take place New York City. Please note a meeting with SRI Representatives may be required prior to this.
- The interviews of the final shortlisted candidates could include a 10 min. presentation to the selection committee from TB Alliance.
- After you meet with the Selection Committee, we will advise you of the Committee’s decision as soon as possible. At the selection stage should you be the preferred final candidate, our client will likely extend a verbal offer to you. Please note that the successful candidate will be required to furnish us with original copies of their qualifications prior to an offer being extended.
* Please note that this process may be subject to some change.