Vacancy ID: 7706
Closing Date: 17.00 ULAT, October 26, 2018
The Government of Mongolia (“Government”) seeks a qualified Director, Communications to leads and manages communications efforts related to the compact program, including media outreach, press placement and coverage, public information campaigns, and publicity events of a new special purpose entity to be known as the Millennium Challenge Account – Mongolia (“MCA-Mongolia”). The Government will shortly establish MCA-Mongolia in the form of a non-profit state-owned enterprise to oversee the implementation of the Mongolia Water Compact (the “Compact”), a large-scale international development assistance program funded by the Millennium Challenge Corporation (“MCC”), a United States Government agency that provides grant assistance to help partner countries promote economic growth and reduce poverty.
The Compact aims to increase the long-term sustainable supply of water to Ulaanbaatar and stem the impact of an impending water crisis. The Compact will expand the supply of water to residential consumers and commercial and industrial users in Ulaanbaatar through:
- The construction of new groundwater wells downstream from Ulaanbaatar and introduction of a state-of-the-art advanced water purification plant;
- The construction of a new wastewater recycling plant and pipelines to provide high-quality treated water to large-scale industrial users;
- Policy reforms, capacity building, and technical assistance to improve the long-term sustainability of Ulaanbaatar’s water supply.
MCA-Mongolia will oversee the implementation of these investments on behalf of the Government and in compliance with the guidelines and standards of MCC.
Main Tasks: The Director, Communications, leads and manages communications efforts related to the compact program, including media outreach, press placement and coverage, public information campaigns, and publicity events. In the course of these responsibilities, the Director, Communications, works closely with the Director, Environmental and Social Performance, to enhance stakeholder engagement activities and with the Director, Sustainability, to amplify public awareness and behaviour change efforts related to public perceptions of water. The Director, Communications, builds strong relationships with the media, cultivates media opportunities for MCA-Mongolia officials, develops and implements a robust communications strategy, and serves as the official spokesperson for MCA-Mongolia. The Director, Communications, reports to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and manages two dedicated, full-time staff.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement mechanisms that allow the public to learn about the Mongolia Water Compact, monitor its progress and provide feedback to MCA-Mongolia and coordinate all of MCA-Mongolia’s publicity, communications and public relations efforts associated with the compact program.
- Oversee the development, implementation and ongoing maintenance of a public website and otherwise ensure that the Mongolian public has access to all relevant information on MCA-Mongolia and the compact program, including on upcoming MCC-funded procurement activities.
- Develop mechanisms to capture feedback from stakeholders and other information on public perceptions and make such information available to the MCA-Mongolia management team.
- Develop and execute a robust communications strategy that promotes the compact program and MCA-Mongolia by generating broad awareness of the program; disseminating timely and accurate information about the program, its objectives and its progress; and identifying and reporting its successes.
- Build, maintain and leverage a strong network of contacts in the local and national media, the government and civil society and create opportunities to publicize the compact program in print, on radio and television, online and in social media.
- Develop and implement a strategy for publicizing partnership and procurement opportunities, identifying potential private sector partners, and capturing and communicating private sector benefits.
- Lead the development of a logo and other branding for MCA-Mongolia, manage the generation of all branded materials, and oversee the proper implementation of the MCC branding guidelines to all compact related work products.
- Organize a stakeholders committee of civil society and non-government participants to engage on planning, oversight and monitoring and evaluation (“M&E”) issues, or develop another stakeholder engagement strategy for MCA-Mongolia, and serve as MCA-Mongolia’s liaison.
- Prepare speeches and talking points for the MCA CEO and other senior staff on public speaking engagements.
- Serve as the chief spokesperson for MCA-Mongolia regarding the implementation of the Mongolia Water Compact program. Represent MCA-Mongolia in the media, at public events and in stakeholder outreach and perform other tasks, as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer (“CEO”).
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, community development, business administration or a similar field. Master’s degree or other advanced degree preferred.
- Eight (8) years or more of prior work experience in strategic communications and community and public outreach, with at least three years of experience at a senior management level.
- Demonstrated experience in crafting and delivering messages to diverse stakeholders, managing public information campaigns, and working with national and local media. Experience working with international organizations or donors a plus.
- Ability to develop, maintain, and engage a broad range of contacts in the public and private sectors of Mongolia.
Communication and Languages
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively (in English and Mongolian), both orally and in writing. English language proficiency at ILR Level 3 or above is preferred.
- Dynamic and experienced leader with significant experience in a corporation, government agency or philanthropic entity and a proven track record for effective team management and results-driven leadership;
- Accomplished in developing, motivating and supporting teams, including coaching and creating development opportunities to maximize production and quality of work and achieve goals;
- Organized and results oriented, with ability to translate Compact strategy and objectives into tasks and work plans;
- Confident in making structural or organizational changes as needed to move the work forward and meet the needs of the situation;
- Skilled in building consensus among employees and developing strong relationships with outside stakeholders;
- Accountable for achieving results that have a development impact and promote financial, environmental and social sustainability;
- Able to identify and propose solutions to mitigate and manage risks;
- Strong negotiator;
- Efficient in understanding new issues quickly and making well informed decisions;
- Able to inspire confidence and create trust;
- Able to work under pressure, plan personal workload effectively, and delegate work to subordinates;
- Skilled in analysing facts and data to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others’ work.
If you wish to be considered for this position, please forward a copy of your CV and a supporting letter in Microsoft Word format, along with any relevant documentation to [email protected] on or before the October 26, 2018 or submit your application via the "Application Form" portal below. All information will be in the strictest confidence as we pride ourselves on our professional service. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
We are encouraging all interested parties to apply for the role. Selection process will be based on merit on the required experiences for all vacancies. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, or disability. No fees will be paid to MCA- Mongolia or any of its agents at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training fees or other).
For a more detailed information about the role including the recruitment process, kindly access the Executive Brief by cutting and pasting the following link to your browser:
SRI Executive (www.sri-executive.com) is assisting the Government of Mongolia in its search for an exceptional candidates for MCA-Mongolia. SRI Executive operates under a contract provided by MCC. SRI Executive is supported by our local partner Specialized Career Consulting (SCC) in this recruitment initiative