Vacancy ID: 7698
Closing Date: 17.00 ULAT, October 01, 2018
The Government of Mongolia (“Government”) seeks a qualified Director, Procurement to help organize, manage and lead the public procurement work of a new special purpose entity to be known as the Millennium Challenge Account – Mongolia (“MCA-Mongolia”). The Government will shortly establish MCA-Mongolia in the form of a non-profit state-owned enterprise to oversee the implementation of the Mongolia Water Compact (the “Compact”), a large-scale international development assistance program funded by the Millennium Challenge Corporation (“MCC”), a United States Government agency that provides grant assistance to help partner countries promote economic growth and reduce poverty.
The Compact aims to increase the long-term sustainable supply of water to Ulaanbaatar and stem the impact of an impending water crisis. The Compact will expand the supply of water to residential consumers and commercial and industrial users in Ulaanbaatar through:
- The construction of new groundwater wells downstream from Ulaanbaatar and introduction of a state-of-the-art advanced water purification plant;
- The construction of a new wastewater recycling plant and pipelines to provide high-quality treated water to large-scale industrial users;
- Policy reforms, capacity building, and technical assistance to improve the long-term sustainability of Ulaanbaatar’s water supply.
MCA-Mongolia will oversee the implementation of these investments on behalf of the Government and in compliance with the guidelines and standards of MCC.
Main Tasks: The Director, Procurement, is responsible for managing and oversight of all of MCA-Mongolia’s procurement operations to ensure the successful procurement of all necessary goods, works and services efficiently, with integrity, and within tight timelines. The Director, Procurement, reports to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and manages two (2) dedicated, full-time staff.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the implementation of all procurement standards, processes and procedures on behalf of MCA-Mongolia, maintaining confidentiality and integrity and ensuring compliance with the MCC Program Procurement Guidelines, the Program Operations Manual and all other requirements.
- Lead and manage the day-to-day work of two (2) dedicated procurement staff within MCA-Mongolia and an outside provider of procurement services (the “Procurement Agent”) to ensure the successful procurement of all necessary goods, works and services efficiently, with integrity, and within tight timelines.
- Oversee the translation of the requirements of the compact program into an actionable procurement strategy, including the identification of procurement needs and the development of cost estimates, semi-annual procurement plans, detailed procurement implementation plans, terms of reference or specifications, and complete solicitation packages, working in close collaboration with the Program Division.
- Monitor the progress of critical procurements, identify risks and timeline deviations in a timely fashion, and develop and implement corrective actions as necessary to ensure timely delivery of all goods, works and services.
- Plan, organize, and guide the Procurement Agent in conducting market/industry outreach activities and analyzing market conditions in order to promote competition and success of every procurement package.
- Oversee the administration of all of MCA-Mongolia’s contracts, identifying the need for contract modifications and amendments where necessary and leading MCA-Mongolia’s interpretation and enforcement of various contractual provisions.
- Teach and train the staff of MCA-Mongolia and its implementing entities to ensure everyone understands their respective roles and responsibilities in the success of procurement.
- Lead the development and implementation of an awareness program and prevention measures against fraud and corruption in the operations of MCA-Mongolia, working in close collaboration with a variety of stakeholders.
- Lead regular reviews of the procurement guidelines, contract management guidelines and associated procedures of MCA-Mongolia, recommending changes or improvements, as may be necessary.
- Ensure close coordination with stakeholders from a variety of specialized sectors at critical junctures in the procurement process.
- Perform additional tasks and accept additional responsibilities assigned by the CEO of MCA-Mongolia.
- Bachelor’s degree in procurement, law, public administration, business administration, international relations, or a similar field. Master’s degree or other advanced degree preferred.
- Eight (8) years or more of prior experience working in the development and management of public procurement systems that reflect international procurement standards, including experience managing procurements under the procurement policies or guidelines of MCC, multilateral donors such as the World Bank or Asian Development Bank, or other international development partners.
- Demonstrated experience in the successful drafting, coordination and review of procurement documents or the management of complex procurements for services and works contracts related to large-scale infrastructure projects.
- Extensive knowledge of the contracting procedures, rules and forms supported by the Fédération Internationale Des Ingénieurs-Conseils (FIDIC).
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel, and Project.
- Specific accomplishments in delivering high quality outcomes, on time.
Communication and Languages
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively (in English and Mongolian), both orally and in writing. English language proficiency at ILR Level 3 or above is preferred.
- Dynamic and experienced leader with significant experience in a corporation, government agency or philanthropic entity and a proven track record for effective team management and results-driven leadership;
- Accomplished in developing, motivating and supporting teams, including coaching and creating development opportunities to maximize production and quality of work and achieve goals;
- Organized and results oriented, with ability to translate Compact strategy and objectives into tasks and work plans;
- Confident in making structural or organizational changes as needed to move the work forward and meet the needs of the situation;
- Skilled in building consensus among employees and developing strong relationships with outside stakeholders;
- Accountable for achieving results that have a development impact and promote financial, environmental and social sustainability;
- Able to identify and propose solutions to mitigate and manage risks;
- Strong negotiator;
- Efficient in understanding new issues quickly and making well informed decisions;
- Able to inspire confidence and create trust;
- Able to work under pressure, plan personal workload effectively, and delegate work to subordinates;
- Skilled in analysing facts and data to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others’ work.
If you wish to be considered for this position, please forward a copy of your CV and a supporting letter in Microsoft Word format, along with any relevant documentation to [email protected] on or before the 1st October, 2018 or submit your application via the "Application Form" portal below. All information will be in the strictest confidence as we pride ourselves on our professional service. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
We are encouraging all interested parties to apply for the role. Selection process will be based on merit on the required experiences for all vacancies. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, or disability. No fees will be paid to MCA- Mongolia or any of its agents at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training fees or other).
For a more detailed information about the role including the recruitment process, kindly access the Executive Brief by cutting and pasting the following link to your browser:
SRI Executive (www.sri-executive.com) is assisting the Government of Mongolia in its search for an exceptional candidates for MCA-Mongolia. SRI Executive operates under a contract provided by MCC. SRI Executive is supported by our local partner Specialized Career Consulting (SCC) in this recruitment initiative