The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) has announced their appointment of eight high-calibre leaders—including three Under-Secretary Generals and five Regional Directors—to their Global Leadership Team
SRI Executive had the pleasure of supporting IFRC in the search process, which was rigorous, open and competitive, to fill these essential leadership roles.
On behalf of our team here are SRI Executive, we would like to congratulate the eight exceptional appointees:
- Niamh Lawless, Under Secretary General, Management Policy, Strategy and Corporate Services—Niamh is a national of both Ireland and New Zealand, and is an experienced and enthusiastic leader with an extensive background in the international not-for-profit, public and private sectors. Niamh currently serves as Secretary General of New Zealand Red Cross (NZRC).
- Nena Stoiljkovic, Under Secretary General, Global Relations, Humanitarian Diplomacy and Digitalization—Nena is from Serbia, and has held several leadership positions with the International Finance Corporation (World Bank Group). She brings deep global experience in development issues including climate change, gender and conflict.
- Xavier Castellanos Mosquera, Under Secretary General, National Society Development and Operations Coordination—Xavier is from Ecuador and has over 30 years of experience in National Society development, resilience building and emergency humanitarian operations. He joined IFRC in 1998, and currently holds dual capacity as Regional Director for Asia Pacific and Acting Under Secretary General for Programs and Operations.
- Mohammed Omer Mukhier-Abuzein, Regional Director, Africa—Mohammed is a national of Sudan with an extensive track record in humanitarian operations management, development work, representation, and strategic leadership. He is currently IFRC Deputy Regional Director, Asia Pacific.
- Martha Keays, Regional Director, Americas—Martha is from the United States and brings extensive international leadership experience in health and disaster management. She is currently Resident Country Director for the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) in El Salvador.
- Alexander Matheou, Regional Director, Asia Pacific—Alexander is a UK national with more than 20 years of experience in the humanitarian sector, more widely within the fields of disaster response, food security, social exclusion, HIV prevention, and institutional development. Alexander currently serves as Executive Director, International for the British Red Cross.
- Birgitte Bischoff Ebbesen, Regional Director, Europe—Birgitte is a national of Denmark and has held many leadership positions with the Danish Red Cross since 2004, including her current position as International Director. She has also worked globally in countries including Somalia, Guatemala and Switzerland.
- Dr Hossam Elsharkawi, Regional Director, Middle East and North Africa—Hossam is a national of Canada with over 30 years of experience in the humanitarian sector, having had had assignments in more than 35 countries. He is currently Acting Regional Director, Middle East and North Africa for IFRC.
Best of luck to this diverse and impressive team in driving IFRC’s goals and guiding the organisation into the future! You can learn more about their impressive experiences here.
As the world’s largest humanitarian organisation, with its 190-member National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and nearly 14 million volunteers, the IFRC assists those impacted by natural disasters and health emergencies. Since 1919 they have helped over 160 million people every year. SRI Executive was delighted to support IFRC in their search.