Director, Private Sector Facility
Green Climate Fund Incheon, Korea; Republic Of (South)
About The Green Climate Fund
The mission of the Green Climate Fund is to assist developing countries to respond to climate change while bringing prosperity to their peoples and working toward the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Established in 2010, the GCF invests in transformational climate projects in the developing world. The Fund makes an ambitious contribution to global climate action and channels significant financial resources into developing countries to help build low-emission and climate-resilient societies. It is country-driven and undertakes actions which reflect the circumstances of each country concerned and their national aspirations. The GCF is a key enabler of the 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
Since 2015, GCF has approved 102 projects and has committed USD 5.0 billion in climate finance. In addition, it has built up an extensive programme to support developing countries identify their needs, in particular, those who are most vulnerable to climate change impacts.
The GCF’s diverse workforce is advancing its mission from the Secretariat headquarters in Songdo, South Korea. A diverse and talented staff make unique contributions to the Fund, enriching the institution through their combined expertise and professional commitment, and full belief in the mandate of GCF.
The GCF is looking to expand its team with more highly skilled and adaptable professionals who are driven by its mandate, appreciate challenges and know how to deliver and thrive in a fast-moving, dynamic environment.
https://www.greenclimate.fund/You can find further details on their website
Director, Private Sector Facility Role Profile
The Director, reporting to the Deputy Executive Director, is responsible for leading engagement of the private sector in support of high priority projects and programmes for low emission, climate resilient investment in the context of specific country needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Leads the design and execution of the Fund’s strategies for promoting private sector investment in climate related activities/projects/programmes
Supports countries in tailoring their programming priorities to promote effective integration of private sector investment modalities with mitigation/adaptation strategies in the context of national climate and development plans
Advances the development of a collaborative culture and enabling environment for knowledge generation, sharing and capture, particularly among PSF financial specialists, sector specialists in the GCF’s Division of Mitigation and Adaptation (DMA) and country relations specialists in the GCF’s Division of Country Programming (DCP).
- Advises the Fund on approaches/modalities to integrate private sector finance engagement strategies, with particular emphasis on the financial sector and MSMEs, across the Fund’s programmes
- Proactively works with GCF’s accredited entities to identify the flexible instruments and innovative structures that would best address project and country needs and attract larger institutional sources of capital; such instruments would include the use of de-risking vehicles that use blended finance to catalyse new private investment and products
- Engages the private sector in adaptation action by supporting robust enabling environments, deploying blended finance to test innovative business models for climate-resilient products and services, and promoting the use of climate data to inform private-sector decision-making
- Directs policy development and projects to support incubators and accelerators focused on early stage climate innovations that have the potential to be transformational
- Works with DCP to guide the deployment of support from the GCF’s Readiness and Preparatory Support Programme to potential intermediaries and to National Designated Authorities or focal points to enhance outreach to potential private sector entities and, where appropriate, to further integrate private sector work in national plans and project piplelines.
- As a member of the Secretariat’s Senior Management Team, participates in management working groups and decision-making and provides technical inputs to the GCF Board and its committees, panels and teams as needed
- Manages the review of PSF programme and project proposals and directs improvements in efficiency, effectiveness, transparency and predictability of allocation processes and speed of delivery
- Collaborates with DMA and DCP management to integrate experts from each division into project teams to support selection of the most effective financial instruments and sector solutions to meet country needs
- Enhances the image and relevance of GCF in the private sector through targeted engagement, business missions, communications and the GCF Private Investment for Climate Conference.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s or higher-level degree
- 15 years or more experience at a senior management level, the majority of which included working in and with the private sector in developing countries and in a multi-lateral programming environment
- Broad knowledge of climate change and climate finance
- Expert knowledge of, and experience with, equity investments, debt/loan structures, limited recourse project finance, blended finance, guarantees and political risk insurance, including for low-emission and climate-resilient projects.
- Experience working with international financial institutions and governments
- Demonstrated ability to lead and work across a wide range of strategic, operational, and administrative responsibilities with outstanding team and project management skills
- Proven leadership, coaching, and stakeholder engagement experience
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated ability to develop and execute a strategic vision
- Superior verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Demonstrated ability to constructively adapt and contribute in various settings with a high degree of self-awareness and empathy
- Fluency in English with knowledge of Spanish and/or French an advantage.
Location: Songdo, South Korea
How to apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please forward a copy of your CV in Microsoft Word format, along with any relevant documentation to Colm Ashe at [email protected] on or before October 30th 2020. All information will be treated in the strictest confidence as we pride ourselves on our professional service. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by GCF to undertake this assignment.