Senior Social Sector Specialist (Skills Development)
About the Asian Development Bank
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 68 members, 49 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB's mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB's main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance. ADB only hires nationals of its 68 members.
You can find more details on ADB’s website: https://www.adb.org/
Senior Social Sector Specialist (Skills Development)
This is an exciting opportunity for a senior social development professional to support countries strengthen their education and skills development systems to meet the future demands of the countries’ economies. The Senior Social Sector Specialist (Skills Development) will identify, develop, and administer loans, technical assistance (TA) projects, and non-lending products and services in the social sectors, particularly in education and skills development. The position will focus on identification and application of advanced education and skills development systems that meet the needs of middle-income countries in Southeast Asia. The position will undertake policy dialogue, integrate best practices and innovations in programs and projects, undertake relevant sector and thematic studies, and participate in sub-regional cooperation programs in Southeast Asia.
The incumbent will be a part of a small team which reports to the Director of SEHS on substantive technical, policy-related and operational aspects, as well as to the Country Director, Indonesia Resident Mission for day-to-day administrative matters. S/he may supervise National and Administrative Staff.
The position is assigned in the Social and Human Development within the Southeast Asia Department (SERD). SERD is responsible for maintaining client relations and delivering ADB assistance to countries in the Southeast Asian region. SEHS is responsible for policy development and dialogue, knowledge management, project quality assurance, sector analytic work, and loan and technical assistance processing and administration in the education and skills development, health, social protection, and other social development related sectors and themes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead in the development of policy and strategies for ADB-supported programs and projects in education and skills. This includes: (i) identify future skills requirement in occupations that are assessed to be critical in implementing national or sub-national economic policies and strategies in middle income countries; (ii) identify skilling and reskilling needs of the labor force; (iii) identify appropriate technologies and application of such technologies in establishing demand driven and flexible training systems to meet future skill needs; and (iv) asses viable partnership models with the industry to strengthen higher education institution's capacity in R&D, and entrepreneurship in technological innovations
- He/she will lead in identifying areas for applied research in collaboration with private sector and/or international academia.
- He/she will develop and assess proposals for alternative approaches to finance higher education and skill development programs.
- He/she will lead and/or participate in missions responsible for the identification, preparation, appraisal, and administration of programs and projects that include innovations in (i) demand-driven and flexible skills development; and (ii) higher education.
- He/she will contribute to sector assessment, strategy, and road maps. Participate in and contribute to internal and external training, and knowledge events and other activities for advocacy, dissemination, and knowledge building.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master's degree in economics, public policy and management, education management, engineering, technology, or other related fields. Alternatively, university degree in related fields combined with additional relevant professional experience can be considered.
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience in development and management of projects related to education and skills development. Knowledge and working experience in Indonesia and readiness to be outposted there will be an asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- International experience working in development in several countries
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework.
Terms of Appointment
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years. ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will be based on ADB's standards and computation, taking into account the selected individual's qualifications and experience. Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia*
*This position is for outposting to Indonesia Resident Mission (IRM). The successful candidate may initially be based in HQ prior to outposting.
How to Apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please forward a copy of your CV in Microsoft Word format, along with any relevant documentation to [email protected] OR use the Application Form below on or before 12 December 2019. All information will be treated in the strictest confidence as we pride ourselves on our professional service. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by ADB to undertake this assignment.