Project Director, D1
About the IOM
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants
You can find further details on their website www.iom.int
Project Director Role Profile
Under the direct supervision of the Director of the Department of Resources Management and the general supervision of the IOM HQ Building Steering Committee, the successful candidate will be responsible for the overall planning, design and execution of the building project and accountable for the oversight and management of resources. The project entails the preparation of an interest free mortgage application to the Government of Switzerland, tender and selection of architect, engineers and contractors, the demolition of current building, design and construction of new building, temporary relocation of staff, the reallocation and reorganization of office space, while ensuring business continuity of operations of the IOM during the construction. From the project conceptualization phase starting with the initial study to the completion of the project is projected to take about 6 years.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide strategic guidance for the efficient implementation of the project, technical knowledge and advice on areas relating to quality, costs and deadlines to ensure the Organization's objectives are met during the planning and construction phases.
- Formulate, implement and oversee the substantive work programme and activities of the building project, the Project Team, and consultants, including the establishment of programme management, risk and control arrangements to ensure the project progresses on time, quality and within budget.
- Oversee, plan and coordinate the project mortgage application and the design and construction activities including procurement management, scheduling, cost estimation,
- Quality control, contracting strategy and administration; establishing and exercising appropriate controls in safeguarding IOM`s assets and interest throughout the life of the project, thereby ensuring effective utilization of IOM funds allocated to the project.
- Assist the Organization in the process of defining its needs and goals related to a modern, sustainable and easily accessible workspace and translating them into project requirements, leading the development of a world-class international building design, the facility management modalities, the security mechanism and the mobility plan.
- Establish and maintain the Project Management Plan for site operations, project guidelines, policies, procedures and performance standards. Lead and implement the Project Management Plan in all phases of the Project. Review and recommend for Steering Committee approval all design and construction contracts.
- Manage and coordinate project costs such as bill of quantities as well as the validation and coordination with the Steering Committee and approval by the DG of any variation orders to contracts.
- Ensure that the project requirements are correctly incorporated in the deliverables provided by the main contractor, architect, other contractors and stakeholders, by linking the actual and anticipated needs of the organization and the resulting technical requirements and specifications.
- Examine the risks at the technical and management levels, provide expert advice, prepare expert recommendations with a view to solving problems; update the risk log of the project and develop proposals to mitigate and reduce risks; and establish construction and project management methodologies.
- Oversee the financial and administrative planning necessary for the functioning of the project, including preparation of budgets, assigning and monitoring of performance parameters and critical indicators, and reporting on budget/programme performance. Assist the Steering Committee in determining priorities and allocating resources for the completion of outputs and their timely delivery.
- Review and confirm all cost estimates, reports, breakdowns, invoices, general conditions and labour costs. Review and approve weekly and monthly project reports from project consultants.
- Coordinate work within the team, within IOM and with all stakeholders as appropriate, including local and federal authorities, such as FIPOI, the department of construction, planning offices and fire department.
- In coordination with the Head of Common Services and all departments, ensure efficient and orderly move of the IOM staff from the current IOM HQ premises to temporary facilities and back again after completion of the building, coordinating with staff, moving companies, building administration and local authorities, determining moving protocols and schedules to ensure minimal interruption of business activities.
- Undertake information sharing and coordination of the needs assessment and planning of the project with all staff.
- Ensure advance planning with the Director of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) for the timely alignment of overall IT activities, forecasts and business continuity testing during phases of moving.
- Review the deliverables of the relevant contractor(s), enforce adherence to the critical phases of the project and deliverables and ensure that programme activities are carried out effectively, and on budget and schedule.
- Anticipate problems and facilitate a solution to them when they arise; work upstream with contractors and internal stakeholders to identify problems as early as possible and propose solutions.
- Participate in meetings with FIPOI (Foundation des immeubles pour les organisations internationales), contractors and other stakeholders, as necessary; maintain records of meetings, coordinate and provide adequate documentation for all IOMHQB project meetings; prepare regular reports for the Steering Committee and Member States; ensure the follow-up of decisions taken during meetings.
- Prepare regular reports on the progress of the project both internally and to Member States including budgetary, programmatic and substantive issues.
- Ensure high-quality standards of the outputs produced by the Project Team; ensure that reports are clear, objective and based on comprehensive data; provide programmatic/substantive reviews of the work prepared by others and ensure that all outputs produced meet required standards to ensure they comply with the relevant mandates.
- Assist the Steering Committee to operationalize the communications strategy, adjusting and refining communications internal and external communication processes and modalities as required to ensure delivery of key messages and appropriate change management practices.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in the construction field relating to engineering, architecture, quantity surveying or a related field from an accredited academic institution with fifteen (15) years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with seventeen (17) years of relevant professional experience.
- Professional certification or membership of chartered institutes is desirable.
- Professional experience and direct responsibility for planning and implementing large scale construction and renovation projects (USD 30 million and above), is required.
- Proven experience in the Swiss construction industry.
- Senior level responsibility for resource planning and project management and experience in cost control or monitoring is desirable. Other desirable qualifications include work experience in the not-for-profit sector and working in an international environment.
- Experience in using relevant IT systems such as Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and Project Management software is an advantage.
- Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with national and international institutions;
- Experience in due diligence and procurement processes.
- Extensive knowledge of Swiss building codes is required.
- Ability to manage financial resources and administration processes
- Fluency in English and French is required.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 3
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: Creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
How to Apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please forward an English copy of your CV in Microsoft Word format, along with any relevant documentation to Ms. Peeui Sangalang, at [email protected] on or before November 30, 2019. All information will be treated in the strictest confidence as we pride ourselves on our professional service. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by the International Organization for Migration (IOM) to undertake this assignment.