Executive Search – Director General, International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development
The International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD), founded in 1983, is a one of its kind intergovernmental knowledge, learning, and enabling centre, partnering with a broad range of institutions to develop and share information and knowledge and use innovation and effective communications to identify and address the most pressing environmental and livelihood concerns across its eight member countries of the Hindu Kush Himalaya (HKH) – Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan.
Men, women, and children of the Hindu Kush Himalaya enjoy improved well-being in a healthy mountain environment.
To enable sustainable and resilient mountain development for improved and equitable livelihoods through knowledge and regional cooperation.
Located in Kathmandu, Nepal, ICIMOD serves the region – and the global mountain community – through: data, information and knowledge generation and sharing to find innovative solutions to critical mountain problems; bridging science with policies and on-the-ground practices; providing a regional platform where policy makers, experts, planners, and practitioners can exchange ideas and perspectives towards enhanced regional cooperation and the achievement of sustainable mountain development; facilitating data and knowledge exchange across the region; helping customize international knowledge and tailor it to the region’s needs; and bringing regional issues to the global stage. ICIMOD sees knowledge-sharing initiatives as a source of inspiration, innovation, and questioning, helping in the design of future strategies.
ICIMOD works through partnerships and seeks to effect integration and trans-disciplinarity across its six Regional Programmes: 1) Adaptation and Resilience Building, 2) Transboundary Landscapes, 3) River Basins and Cryosphere, 4) Atmosphere, 5) Mountain Environment Regional Information System, and 6) Mountain Knowledge and Action Networks and its four Thematic Areas – Ecosystem Services, Geospatial Solutions, Livelihoods, and Water and Air – which are supported by its Gender team, the Strategic Cooperation Unit, the Knowledge Management and Communication Unit and the Strategic Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Unit. ICIMOD seeks to contribute to reducing poverty and vulnerability and improving the lives and livelihoods of mountain women, men and children, now and in the future.
ICIMOD is comprised of people from all the countries in the HKH region and many countries beyond, at present some 20 different nationalities in all and a staff of 300.
ICIMOD and the HKH region
Nestled in the highest peaks of the world, glaciers feed 10 of the world’s most important river systems, including the Ganges, Indus, Yellow, Mekong and Irrawaddy, and directly or indirectly supply 1.9 billion people with food, energy, clean air and incomes. Additionally, the region contains four of the world’s biodiversity hotspots (the Himalaya, Indo-Burma, Mountains of Southeast Southwest China and Mountains of Central Asia hotspots) and has some of the poorest populations of the world. The massive size and global significance of the HKH region is indisputable. Through once of its initiatives, the HKH Monitoring and Assessment Programme (HIMAP), a first of its kind report, titled The Hindu Kush Himalaya Assessment: Mountains, Climate Change, Sustainability and People lays down in definitive detail the region’s critical importance to the well-being of billions and its alarming vulnerability, especially in the face of climate change.
ICIMOD plays a critical role in how the region will address challenges in the HKH, and how the global community will respond to protect this global asset. ICIMOD plays a key role in developing solutions, fostering collaboration across countries, and engaging with the global community on HKH issues. The Director General plays a key leadership role to engage partners to rise to these challenges.
Director General role profile
Given the critical challenges present in the region, the need for regional cooperation among countries across the HKH has never been more pressing and the Director General of ICIMOD has the opportunity to convene and animate regional governments to create the necessary regional mechanisms and to support national responses to climate change and other pressing environmental and livelihood issues.
A 36 year strong institution, ICIMOD’s particular strengths as the only intergovernmental institution serving the HKH, focusing on mountain environments and people, with a talented and committed scientific and administrative staff positions it to leverage its convening power and its well-earned credibility to support the HKH governments to take the urgent action necessary to contribute to reductions in global warming, to diminish the rapid rate of glacial melt and loss, to drastically cut air pollution and black carbon, to conserve critically endangered biodiversity resources, to promote effective adaptation, to reduce disaster risk and prepare the most vulnerable for the anticipated increase in extreme weather across the region while also uncovering and dismantling the persistent structures reinforcing poverty and gender disparities.
Leading this work requires a uniquely experienced, talented and dynamic leader whose depth of management expertise is complemented by an emotionally intelligent, authentic leadership style that will motivate and inspire people – those passionate, highly talented professionals who work within ICIMOD and among its partner institutions – who have dedicated their lives and careers to the well-being of the HKH and her people.
A new Director General will encounter an institution with robust and effective systems, currently completing the second implementation year of its five-year action plan having enjoyed global attention and regional affirmation for the recently released HKH Assessment Report. Thus, the timing for entry into the Director General position will allows for an adjustment period to comfortably lead within a clear course while making a mark building upon solid foundations, deepening regional cooperation and steering the institution into new directions.
Duties and responsibilities
The Board of Governors is the ultimate governing body for the Centre and the Director General reports directly to the Board. She/he is expected to ensure positive and supportive relationships with the Board members and the institutions they represent, all of whom are essential to the Centre’s success. Since the Board approves all annual programme plans, budgets, policies, and risk management strategies, the Director General is responsible to ensure that those are prepared punctually and comprehensively and communicated effectively.
The Director General gives strategic direction and leadership to the pursuit of ICIMOD’s vision and mission, raises funds, and holds overall responsibility for the accomplishment of the Centre’s strategic impacts and results and the effective management of its resources. She/he works closely with the ICIMOD Support Group and regional member countries for ensuring long-term funding for the Centre.
Key responsibilities include:
Direction of ICIMOD’s overall operations and governance
- Provides visionary and strategic leadership to the organisation in pursuing its mission, developing strategic plans, establishing a results framework for its programmes and services, and ensuring upholding of the highest professional and ethical standards
- Assumes responsibility for fundraising, developing long-term and medium-term funding strategies and ensuring timely and effective reporting on the disbursement of all funds
- Ensures that the Centre continues to deepen its regional ownership through effective engagement with strategic partners in the regional member countries and through maintaining close working relationships with the nodal agencies/ministries and key institutions and governments in the region in order to identify priorities for ICIMOD’s work and to develop collaborative programme activities through strong partnerships that support ICIMOD’s mission and strategic results
- Ensures both internal monitoring of ICIMOD’s progress along strategic performance indicators and the implementation of evaluation plans and external reviews of ICIMOD’s programmes including a five-year donor-led review
- Ensures that gender is addressed throughout ICIMOD’s work
- Ensures effective implementation of planned activities
- Ensures effective communication of activities and results to ICIMOD’s constituencies and actively promotes networking and exchange of information as an integral part of ICIMOD’s mandate
Human resources management
- Leads the senior management team and encourages collaboration and effective teamwork across the Centre
- Promotes diversity and gender equity within the organisation
- Ensures high staff morale, equity and efficiency
- Assumes overall responsibility for effective communications between management and staff and for promoting a service orientation and a value-for-money culture within the Centre
- Assumes overall responsibility for the employment, terms, and evaluation of ICIMOD international and locally engaged staff
- Chairs internal management committees as appropriate and delegates leadership authority as appropriate
Financial management and administration
- Ensures effective preparation and presentation of the annual programme of work and budget
- Ensures that close monitoring of ICIMOD’s revenue and expenditures takes place throughout the fiscal year and is responsible to the Board for any adjustments made to the approved programme of work and budget
- Is the principal authorising officer for disbursement of funds in accordance with the Centre’s financial policy and procedures
- Ensures compliance to all financial controls and that value-for-money principles are followed by all staff and embodied in ICIMOD’s policies and procedures
- Ensures that accurate, timely and well-supported financial reports are produced and distributed in accordance with existing financial and administrative policy and procedures
- Ensures that ICIMOD’s accounts are properly audited, as stipulated by its by-laws and financial procedures.
Detailed information about ICIMOD is available on www.icimod.org.
Qualifications and experience
- PhD or equivalent experience in a relevant discipline
- Experience in managing research and development programmes and institutions
- In-depth knowledge of the main development and policy issues facing countries in the HKH region
- Skills and knowledge in resource mobilisation and financial strategy development
- At least fifteen years’ relevant experience, which will include at least five years of experience working in the region and ten years as a senior manager
- Experience leading within a large international organisation
- Experience in interacting with senior decision makers, government officials and Boards
- Ability to act as a visionary leader for ICIMOD
- Ability to adapt and respond and to promote a culture of adaptability and responsiveness throughout the institution
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiating and communication skills
- Excellent inter-cultural and cross-cultural skills
- Ability to project and promote ICIMOD’s credibility and international prominence
- Capability and preparedness to raise funds
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Ability and preparedness to travel frequently and widely within the region and internationally
Terms of appointment
This is a full-time position with the successful candidate contracted for a five-year term with the possibility of renewal for an additional term. The salary and benefits package is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Director General will be based in ICIMOD’s Headquarters in Kathmandu, Nepal.
If you wish to be considered for this position, please "Apply" as below attaching a copy of your detailed CV and any relevant documentation. If you require any further information, please contact Marhian Escuro at [email protected]. All information will be treated in the strictest confidence as we pride ourselves on our professional service. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
SRI Executive has been exclusively retained by ICIMOD to undertake this assignment.