Regional Director for Asia
About the World Mosquito Program
The World Mosquito Program (WMP) is a global not-for-profit initiative that works to protect the global community from mosquito-borne diseases such as dengue, Zika and chikungunya. Known until recently as the Eliminate Dengue Program, the World Mosquito Program uses naturally occurring bacteria called Wolbachia to reduce the ability of mosquitoes to transmit these diseases. Accumulating evidence is supportive of very large impact on disease transmission and large clinical trials and demonstration projects are currently underway. The WMP’s Wolbachia method has been recommended by the World Health Organization for further pilot deployments.
Following years of laboratory research and field trials with promising results, the WMP has expanded to now be undertaking deployments in 12 countries around the world and has widespread support from communities, governments and regulators. We are undergoing rapid organisational growth. In addition, scale up plans for national deployments in existing countries are in preparation.
Funding for WMP activities is received through major grants from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, The Wellcome Trust, the Australian Government through DFAT, the US government through USAID, the Gillespie Family Foundation and other philanthropic supporters, as well as governments in various deployment countries. More information about the WMP can be obtained from www.worldmosquitoprogram.org .
Regional Director for Asia
The Regional Director is responsible for developing and executing the regional strategy for Asia, ensuring a global consistency and alignment to the overall strategic direction and vision of the WMP through collaboration and being a key member of the Program’s Executive Team.
The position will be accountable for the leadership and management of the Regional Office and sites, including leading and directing the national deployments for Asia, actively developing and maintaining existing links with stakeholders and collaborating partners, and contribute to further developing the WMP as an enduring international collaborative research program.
Reporting Line: The position reports to the Program Director, WMP
Supervisory responsibilities: This position provides direct supervision to approximately 5 staff, and oversees a team of approximately 15 staff.
Financial delegation and/or budget responsibilities: The position is responsible for managing an overall budget of approximately $US4m and has an authorised financial delegation of $US50k.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Accountable for the development and execution of WMP’s strategic and operational plans in the region within the approved budget.
- Provide an overarching leadership for the Regional Office and project sites in relation to people, business, risk management and reputational matters.
- Represent and promote the WMP to foster and grow its profile, through building and maintaining good relationship with different stakeholders such as Government agencies, International Institutions, professional bodies, peak scientific bodies and partnering organisations in the region.
- Drive business development activities in a strategic and integrated way that maximizes WMP’s financial and people resources.
- Promote and drive innovations into the current deployments and leverage opportunities for collaboration and cooperation across projects to increase the efficiency and best practice.
- Accountable for leading and developing a high performing regional leadership team with a focus on operational and service excellence.
- A key member of the Program Executive Team the incumbent will play a leading role in the development of the Program strategy and provide support to other regions as needed
- Actively contribute as a senior member of the Program Executive Team in the development of the Program’s strategy and business operations, and provide support to other as required.
- Ensure that all activities undertaken in the region are in compliance with WMP policies and local laws and regulations.
Qualifications and Experience
- A postgraduate qualification in a relevant discipline and extensive experience at an executive management level within a complex management environment.
- Fluency in English.
- Extensive experience in successful delivery of large projects within budget and schedule where stakeholders are diverse in terms of interests and culture.
- Significant experience in leadership and management with the ability to communicate the vision, lead by example and motivate and develop high performing, interdisciplinary teams in a complex global environment
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to negotiate, consult, influence, establish strategic alliances and build consensus at the highest levels
- Exceptional analytical and conceptual skills along with the ability to think “outside the box”; and deliver positive, innovative solutions to complex issues
- Experience in advocacy at a senior level, including networking skills and the ability to foster effective collaboration
- Demonstrated experience working in a complex matrix environment and across different organisational requirements
Other job-related information:
- Reasonable travel to regional offices and sites in Oceania, Asia and the Americas
- Out of hours work (including evenings, weekends and public holidays) may be required during peak periods of work
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time position with the successful candidate being contracted on a two-year basis with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. A pension plan, life and medical insurances are included in the benefits package. Employment contract will be signed with Action on Poverty which operates the WMP in Vietnam under AOP Representative Office License.
If you wish to be considered for this position, please forward a copy of your CV in Microsoft Word format, along with any relevant documentation to Ms. Angelica Llanera at [email protected] All information will be in the strictest confidence as we pride ourselves on our professional service. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by World Mosquito Program to undertake this assignment.