Director of Support Services & Chief Financial Officer (DSS & CFO)
About the GREEN CLIMATE FUND
The mission of the Green Climate Fund is to assist developing countries to respond to climate change while bringing prosperity to their peoples and working toward the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Established in 2010, the GCF invests in transformational climate projects in the developing world. The Fund makes an ambitious contribution to global climate action and channels significant financial resources into developing countries to help build low-emission and climate-resilient societies. It is country-driven and undertakes actions which reflect the circumstances of each country concerned and their national aspirations. The GCF is a key enabler of the 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change.
Since 2015, GCF has approved 102 projects and has committed USD 5.0 billion in climate finance. In addition, it has built up an extensive program to support developing countries identify their needs, in particular those who are most vulnerable to climate change impacts.
The GCF’s diverse workforce is advancing its mission from the Secretariat headquarters in Songdo, South Korea. A diverse and talented staff make unique contributions to the Fund, enriching the institution through their combined expertise and professional commitment, and full belief in the mandate of GCF.
The GCF are looking to expand its team with more highly skilled and adaptable professionals who are driven by its mandate, appreciate challenges and know how to deliver and thrive in a fast moving, dynamic environment.
You can find further details on the GCF website - https://www.greenclimate.fund/home
DIRECTOR OF SUPPORT SERVICES & CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER (DSS & CFO)
The Director of Support Services & Chief Financial Officer is responsible for the management of the Division of Support Services (DSS) and has primary day-to-day responsibility for managing, planning, implementing and controlling all financial and support service-related activities of the Fund. Functions within the Department of Support Services include overall administration of the Secretariat, including day-to-day operational support, as well as institutional support, direct responsibility for accounting, financing partnership compliance and strategic planning.
The right candidate is very much a senior manager and leader with broad understanding of the climate change financing mechanisms, and the climate change landscape globally. GCF needs a ‘big picture’ person, who can bring strategic vision and ideas in the finance, project and operations divisions and in each of the support areas, and who can implement that vison by integrating teams, and working across the growing organisation.
The responsibilities of the role also cover the procurement of goods and services necessary to the mission of the Fund, management of personal property including acquisition, disposal, leasing, inventory tracking, central receiving and warehousing functions. The successful candidate will head a division that will provide institutional support in the following areas: Finance, Procurement and Fiduciary, General Services which include facilities management, all support services and Information and Communications Technology (ICT). This role reports to the Deputy Executive Director of GCF, and works closely with the other Members of the Senior Management Team and the Executive Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
The selected candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Participate in key decisions as a member of the Fund’s Senior Management Team
- Overall strategic direction for functions such as ICT, Procurement, Travel, Finance, Administrative Operations, Protocol, Treasury
- Motivate DSS staff and staff across the Fund to be consistent with principles of integrity and accountability and to work within the parameters governing the financial management framework and availability of resources;
- Develop finance organizational strategies by contributing financial and accounting information, analysis, and recommendations to strategic thinking and direction; establishing functional objectives in line with organizational objectives
- Develop financial strategies by forecasting capital, facilities, and staff requirements; identifying monetary resources; developing action plans
- Recommend to the Senior Management Team sound mitigation and/or corrective strategies to ensure accountability, coherence and accountability in budget management
- Provide fiduciary due diligence of Implementing Entities and intermediaries
- Ensure high ethical standards for all transactions processed by the Office of Support Services
- Mentor heads of units and lead a team of about 40+ staff
- Continuously monitor operations to improve consistency, coherence and client-orientation in the provision of Fund-wide administrative services, and promote excellent business practices
- Oversee all administrative policies and system development and their implementation;
- Build and maintain strong relationships with other senior staff to identify their needs and develop full range of business solutions
- Serve as the Fund's liaison with various governmental entities to ensure that best standard practices are established and followed; and all services provided to the Secretariat are in accordance with the Funds' administrative policies and guidelines
- Innovative thinking—is creative and innovative in identifying opportunities to maximize the impact of the Green Climate Fund globally.
- Technical expertise—has a specific, deep level of expertise in the strategic and tactical areas within support services and finance.
- Influencing skills—persuades, convinces and creates buy-in for ideas and initiatives in order to advance their own goals and strategies, consistent with the Green Climate Fund mission and vision.
- Customer/team orientation—recognizes the importance of both internal and external customers and fosters active cooperation among their colleagues in the pursuit of organizational goals.
- Knowledge of capital markets and climate change financing and funding structures.
- Leadership—develops the vision and implements the strategy for their own business area and has a proven track record showing strong leadership and mentoring skills.
- Passion for the greater good—understands and is committed to the work of the Green Climate Fund.
- Performance driven—implements and drives strategy to meet and improve performance targets.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will hold a Master's Degree, in Business Management, Accounting, or related fields.
- Fifteen (15) years of experience in progressively responsible financial leadership positions in similar organisations in an international setting.
- Experience in managing large and diverse teams involved in treasury operations and capital market activities.
- The Director must be able to exercise a high degree of prudence and diplomacy.
- Must possess excellent and highly effective communication skills.
- Strong problem solving and creative skills as well as the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on timely and accurate analyses.
- High level of dependability and integrity with a strong sense of urgency and results-orientation.
Terms of Appointment
- This is a full-time position at IS8 Level within the secretariat, reporting to the Deputy Executive Director of GCF. The successful candidate will be contracted on a three-year basis with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. A pension plan, life and medical insurances are included in the benefits package.
How to Apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please forward a copy of your CV in Microsoft Word format, along with a dated and signed Cover Letter describing your motivation and how your qualifications fit the requirements along with any relevant documentation to [email protected]. In the subject line, kindly indicate APPLICATION FOR 8459 – DSS & CFO.
All information will be in the strictest confidence as we pride ourselves on our professional service. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by Green Climate Fund to undertake this assignment.