As Vice President and Director, Statistics and Data Science Center, you will direct a multidisciplinary team of 80 staff. You will be the executive business leader and will guide the strategic planning process and oversee staff on a wide portfolio of data collection, research, analysis, and evaluation projects.
You will lead a staff of statisticians, data scientists and survey methodologists. The team is highly collaborative; our collegial work environment is central to our success. Your key responsibilities as Center Director will include setting forth and executing the business strategy, promoting participation of Statistics and Data Science staff in business development, ensuring quality, and supervising talent management.
- Develop and execute a strategy that enables Westat to expand the meaningful work we do and ensures the quality and rigor of statistical, methodological, and data science methods implemented in Westat projects.
- Establish a strategic direction for the Statistics and Data Science Center that is in line with Westat’s business goals.
- Support the portfolio of business across Westat.
- Develop and promote thought leadership that raises Westat’s expertise to create a competitive edge, attract new clients, and recruit the best talent.
- Foster collegiality while maintaining accountability among the center’s management team.
- Make significant technical contributions to capture and proposal development activities to grow Westat.
- Vet new opportunities that align with strategic plans and corporate business targets.
- Engage routinely with senior staff on capture and proposal activities and priorities.
- Collaborate across Westat to bring the full range of company capabilities to bear to ensure the application of advanced methodological expertise and capabilities into the design of innovative solutions supporting successful business development.
- Promote the value of statistics and data science to internal and external clients.
- Provide methodological direction and thought leadership in statistics and data science to center staff.
- Maintain visibility within the statistics and data science professional community.
- Establish an operating plan for the center in alignment with Westat’s overall strategic direction.
- Establish and monitor expectations for direct and indirect expenditures within the center.
- Collaborate with Westat’s Finance and Contracts departments to oversee center finances.
- Work across all research practices and business centers to staff projects and optimize resource utilization.
Project and Execution Quality
- Maintain our culture of client satisfaction to ensure we continue to achieve the highest client ratings.
- Conduct project risk reviews and develop risk mitigation strategies.
- As needed, develop or update policies and procedures to continually strengthen the quality of our work, be more cost efficient, and streamline operations.
- Mentor leaders within the center.
- Attract and retain talent for the organization.
- Oversee staff supervision and staff development efforts.
- Assure hiring plans are in place to support project execution.
- A master’s degree in statistics, data science, or other quantitative research field and a minimum of 15 years’ experience in government or in a government contracting organization leading and conducting statistical, methodological, or data science projects (at the Federal level) with a strong commitment to quality, rigor, and customer satisfaction;
- A doctoral degree in statistics, data science, or other quantitative research field and a minimum of 10 years’ experience in government or in a government-contracting organization leading and conducting statistical, methodological, or data science projects (at the Federal level) with a strong commitment to quality, rigor, and customer satisfaction.
- Strong strategic vision combined with experience developing and executing business strategy.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities.
- A proven track record of bringing innovation to statistical, methodological, or data science projects.
- Recognized thought leadership, including conference presentations, published work, and relationships with multiple Westat key clients.
- Demonstrated communication skills.
This is a full-time role with a salary range of $220,000 to $250,000.
This role is eligible for a remote work arrangement and the candidate can be based anywhere in the USA. There will be significant travel to Westat’s HQ, estimated to be 30% of the time.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please ensure you complete the Application Form provided below by 11 December 2023. It is essential that you submit your CV in English, specifically in Microsoft Word format (.doc/.docx).
Applications in other languages or formats will not be considered.
Rest assured, all information will be handled with the utmost confidentiality.
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by Westat to undertake this assignment.