CropLife International is looking for a consultant to manage the implementation of its Sustainable Pesticide Management Framework (SPMF). The SPMF is a multi-year industry commitment program in support of sustainable and responsible use of pesticides and a key global flagship program for the organization, with deployment in the Africa, Asia, and Latin America regions. Through the program, CropLife International and its members are aiming at protecting human health, safeguarding the environment, and optimizing crop production to drive thought leadership on addressing the global triple challenge of climate change, biodiversity loss and food security. It is a foundational commitment by CropLife International and its members, aligned with the purpose and vision of the association to advance innovation in agriculture for enabling sustainable food systems.
The Program Manager will provide guidance, oversight, and coordination for the global SPMF implementation with implementing partners (such as country and regional industry associations, development partners) and execute scaling up approaches for the program. Key responsibilities and success will include ensuring communication flow from country programs to the CropLife International Secretariat and Task Force management, working towards achieving agreed program milestones, overseeing program compliance, and developing key stakeholder engagement and partnerships to deliver successfully on the vision and ambition of the program.
The Program Manager will act on a consulting basis and will work in close cooperation with other relevant CropLife International functions, including Regulatory Affairs and Stewardship, Sustainability, Anticounterfeit and Communications & Public Affairs. The SPMF is a 3–5-year project requiring travel to several countries in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. The consultant ideally works out of one of the target Regions or out of Europe.
Duties and Responsibilities
1) Provide project management services
- Providing leadership on the SPMF country projects and ensure coherent implementation in coordination and alignment with the SPMF taskforce guidance and based on the framework principles.
- Overseeing work plans, tracking progress and providing respective progress reports to senior leadership; when required analysing and resolving program issues and ensuring technical sound, timely and cost-effective implementation.
- Ensure that implementing partners have put the right mechanisms in place to ensure program execution compliant and adherent to relevant policies. .
- Managing and reviewing cooperation with implementing partners and measures success; steering respective work plans and monitor progress.
- Collecting information on program progress and opportunities for its acceleration during field visits and meetings with implementing partners.
- Providing input into communication and advocacy and supporting coordinating outreach to relevant government bodies, international organizations, donors etc.
- Proactively contributing to the identification of partnership opportunities (government, industry, NGOs .and the respective development and implementation of those.
- Providing the liaison management between country projects, regional management and global SPMF Task Force.
2) Coordinates subject matter expertise for the SPMF
- Providing technical advice and leadership on the SPMF program implementation in cooperation with industry and public sector actors, business organizations, other donors, and NGOs.
- Providing expert advice on the responsible use of pesticides and on providing innovative technologies.
- Preparing periodic updates on activities and co-operations.
- Facilitating the sourcing of expertise so as to address capacity challenges and constraints.
3) Milestone Management, Tracking and Reporting
- Tracking and reporting on project progress on a continuing basis, especially the key performance indicators that measure the achievement of the projects’ main outputs and outcomes.
- Reviewing progress and drafting progress reports.
4) Financial and Contract Management
- Monitoring the project budget planning and implementation in accordance with agreed requirements and works closely with the CropLife International staff to routinely update project budgeting.
- Performing necessary actions to effectively manage the financial and contracting aspects of project implementation, including vetting partners and evaluating cost proposals.
- Proven background in project management and implementation of development programs in low-income countries with a focus on pesticide management.
- Expertise in agriculture development, rural development, multi-stakeholder engagement, infrastructure (systems) development, government relations. Work experience in one or several of the following areas: agricultural extension services, development work, crop protection industry
- Proven records of advocacy and key stakeholder engagement skills and capabilities
- Able to travel extensively (at least 30%)
- Have experience in project administration and management procedures.
- Excellent MS Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (agriculture, business administration, economics, management, international development, or related development and social science fields)
Language Proficiency: (Fluent) speaking/reading of English, speaking/reading of Spanish or French is a plus
Skills and Abilities
- Strong analytical skills, including the ability to identify, locate, analyse, and evaluate relevant quantitative and qualitative data and to carry out technical analyses.
- The ability to organize and present project information in written and oral form is required.
- Under limited supervision, s/he must be able to plan, manage and evaluate the project(s) to which s/he is assigned
- The candidate must be able to conduct site visits to support project monitoring.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a matrix and with cross-cultural sensitivity, tact, and poise with a range of professional counterparts at all levels, including those from host country ministries, representatives of agencies, implementing partners, international organizations, and other donors.
Location: European time zone (virtual role)
Contract: 1 year (renewable up to 5 years)
How to Apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please complete the Application Form below on or before 23 September 2022. In addition, we encourage you to please attach a copy of the most recent English version of your CV.
All information will be treated in the strictest confidence.
If you have an initial query rather than an application, kindly email us at [email protected].
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by CropLife International to undertake this assignment.