The Principal Environmental and Social Development Specialist / Head of the Environmental and Social Team (Head of E&S Team) will primarily be responsible for managing an interdisciplinary team of environmental and social development specialists who will support the realization of AIIB’s commitment to sustainable development consistent with its Environmental and Social Framework (ESF).
A major function of the Head of the E&S Team would be to oversee effective implementation of AIIB’s environmental and social responsibilities during project preparation and implementation to ensure compliance with AIIB’s ESP, which includes the Environmental and Social Standards (ESSs) and Environmental and Social Exclusion List. Another important function would be leading the required coordination with relevant units on projects and undertaking institutional reporting. The Head of E&S Team reports directly to the Director General, OSD.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Head of the E&S Team would be responsible for providing strategic leadership to the ES team, and overseeing tasks related to application of the ESP, relying on the ESP Directive and Administrative Guidance, to Investment Projects. More specifically, this responsibility includes:
- Managing a team of environmental and social development specialists, including, as authorized by DG OSD, assigning appropriate specialists and engaging consultants to support project teams in the preparation and implementation of investment projects.
- Managing relationships on environmental and social management issues with AIIB’s Investment Operations departments; Strategy, Policy, and Budget Department; the Compliance, Effectiveness and Integrity Unit; and other departments, as warranted.
- Managing the development and conduct of training on the ESP and the associated ESP Directive and Administrative Guidance for AIIB staff and clients.
- Serving as an AIIB focal point for coordination activities with other MDBs and bilateral development organizations.
- Serving as the AIIB lead focal point on relations with external stakeholders, including civil society organizations and nongovernmental organizations, concerning environmental and social issues in AIIB's investment operations.
- Coordinating and supporting, as authorized by the DG, OSD, the work on Operational Policies, Directives, and Administrative Guidance related to environmental and social issues to ensure consistency and coherence.
- Supporting the formulation and implementation of the environmental and social aspects of AIIB’s sector strategies, policies, programs, and projects.
- Advising the Project teams and clients on screening for climate change-related risks and impacts and supporting clients in managing those risks and impacts during preparation and implementation of Projects.
- Guiding clients and project teams on monitoring implementation of the ES aspects of a Project and addressing any issues that arise during Project implementation, including any changes in Project design or scope.
- From time to time, support the DG, OSD in the management of, and institutional reporting on, other fiduciary and control aspects within the responsibility of the Vice Presidencies for Investment Operations.
The ideal candidate will hold an advanced Degree (Masters or PhD) in environmental or natural or social science, engineering, planning, law, finance, business, or related discipline.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Knowledge of language(s) of a country in which AIIB invests would be an advantage.
- A minimum of 15 years of relevant international experience in environment and social planning, and risk management either working for, or as a government counterpart or consultant to, a multilateral/regional development bank, bilateral development organizations, or a private sector organization engaged in the development and implementation of infrastructure projects and their financing. Candidates with 15+ years is preferred.
- A successful track record in planning and managing environmental and social aspects of infrastructure programs and projects (including project design and feasibility studies, strategic and project-level environmental and social assessments and related types of studies for resettlement and Indigenous Peoples, environmental and social management plans and frameworks, consultation and disclosure processes and grievance redress mechanisms) which may include, but not limited to, the energy, transport, water, information and communication technologies (ICT) and urban development sectors.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills with a proven track record as a manager and/or leader of interdisciplinary teams and experience in working with public and private sector clients, development partners, and external stakeholders, including nongovernmental organizations, civil society, etc.
- Sound critical thinking and familiarity with business processes and international good practice in infrastructure investment operations.
- A high level of personal integrity and a sense of accountability.
- Willingness and ability to travel frequently and extensively.
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to manage and work in multi-disciplinary teams.
How to Apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please complete the Application Form below. In addition, we encourage you to please attach a copy of the most recent English version of your CV.
All information will be treated in the strictest confidence.
If you have an initial query rather than an application, kindly email us at [email protected].
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by AIIB to undertake this assignment.