A VISIONARY LEADER
The new President of Zamorano should be enthusiastic about leading an educational institution committed to sustainable food systems and development. The President must be an inspirational, visionary multicultural leader, whose experience will guide the University into the era of sustainable food systems.
The President must have broad comprehension of today’s global challenges including environmental issues, climate change, a new digitalized world, and the implications of the biotech and info-tech revolutions. The successful candidate should be able to initiate inspiring strategies that will ensure that Zamorano through its educational, research and development programs will have positive impacts on rural communities, food production systems and value chains through its graduates and project beneficiaries.
Zamorano’s new President must initiate and lead processes to develop and consolidate Zamorano's new approaches to education and development, which will ensure that Zamorano is well funded and appealing to highly talented students and faculty. Zamorano must ensure that it embraces technological innovations, such as information Technology and biotechnology in ways that contribute to fulfilment of the university’s mission.
Given its history, Zamorano is placed uniquely to address issues facing tropical agriculture and food processing and to ensure that the emerging ideas and solutions effectively reach the people who need them. During trying times, a contemporary version of the two cornerstones of Zamorano’s tradition in education – “learning by doing” and “labor omnia vincit” – are needed more than ever.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Board of Trustees, develop a new vision to bring the University into the 21st century.
- Lead a transformative process that delivers on culture, purpose, and impact at the institutional level.
- Initiate pioneering strategies that incorporates the Zamorano’s past as well as its future in the global agriculture system.
- Work with the University’s Leadership Team to implement this vision. Ensure that strategic planning guides and informs academic planning as well as financial allocation.
- Inspire internal and external stakeholders to work toward the University’s new vision and strategy.
- Provide senior leadership of the University’s students, faculty, trustees, alumni, and other stakeholders.
- Leverage the commitment of the University’s stakeholders in pursuing strategic progress and results.
- Build and manage high-performance diverse teams within the University.
- Be a good listener who is willing to learn about new ideas and incorporate different points of view into decisions.
- Collaborate and delegate management functions with the University’s senior leadership.
- Ensure that the University operates and aspires to its principles, mission, and Core Values.
- Fundraising, Alumni Engagement, and Partnerships
- Engage with Zamorano’s global alumni community and connect them with the University.
- Connect with external stakeholders including national / international development partners, as well as government and private sector organizations so they understand the University’s mission and become involved in Zamorano’s projects.
- Cultivate and enhance relationships with private sector entities, corporate foundations, philanthropic foundations, and other development partners to support fundraising.
Communications, Marketing and Diversity
- Be active, visible, and accessible member of the University; communicate regularly with internal and external stakeholders via speeches, traditional media, social media, and other means.
- Collaborate with others to build an effective marketing strategy to spread the message and vision of the University to internal and external stakeholders.
- Foster understanding within the University of Diversity, Inclusion, Equity, and Justice (DEIJ).
- Support a culture of open dialogue, education, and community building across the University.
Education, Qualifications & Experience
- Prior experience leading strategic transformation within large complex organizations, preferably within higher education institutions.
- Deep professional experience in agriculture, food systems, and sustainability. Broad comprehension of today’s global challenges including environmental issues, climate change, a new digitalized world, and the implications of the biotech & info-tech revolutions.
- Prior history of success leading large diverse and multicultural institutions, preferably in higher education.
- High emotional intelligence and intellectual curiousity; demonstrated leadership experience inspiring others toward a shared vision and common objectives.
- Track record of individual and institutional fundraising experience, preferably within an academic context.
- Strong understanding of DEIJ principles and demonstrated success in DEIJ initiatives.
- Fluency in Spanish and English is required.
- Terminal degree (PhD or equivalent) is highly desirable, but not essential.
- Align with the University’s Core Values including Core integrity, fairness, inclusiveness, transparency, and motivation.
Terms of Appointment
The President’s contract is for 3 years, extendable upon approval by the Board of Trustees.
The role has an attractive benefits package including housing support, health insurance, family support and more. Full information will be shared upon request. Relocation and visa support are provided for this role depending on the needs of the candidate.
The President is expected to travel 33% of their time to meet with alumni, engage government partners, build university partnerships, and attend events.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We believe we are a better, stronger, and more effective organization when we create a culture that welcomes and includes a diverse set of backgrounds and perspectives, and we can learn from one another. We welcome people of all backgrounds–especially when their life experiences, abilities, and perspectives can offer valuable insight to our work supporting some of the most vulnerable and marginalized populations in the world. Zamorano will provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals. Employment decisions at Zamorano will be based on merit, qualifications and abilities. Zamorano does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, age, disability, marital status or any other characteristic protected by the law. Zamorano will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so with result in undue hardship to daily operations.
How to Apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please complete the Application Form below on or before 16 January 2023. In addition, we encourage you to please attach a copy of the most recent English version of your CV.
If you have an initial query rather than an application, kindly email us at [email protected].
All information will be treated in the strictest confidence as we pride ourselves on our professional service.
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by Zamorano to undertake this assignment.