FSD Africa’s Risk and Resilience manages a portfolio of projects that promote digital innovation in the African insurance industry and help build a digital insurance market. These projects and the overall ecosystem-building work is supported by an online innovation platform.
This candidate would act as a thought-leader on financial industry digital innovation, involved in the design and implementation of initiatives, partnership development and digital marketing / PR associated with the initiatives.
- Manage all digital platform and innovation ecosystem activities. This will include scaling and maintaining launched activities/services and designing/implementing new activities and services to build and scale platform traffic & impact.
- Build a network of partners across multiple African markets and industries and manage their onboarding process to the platform. Support partners in utilising the platform to manage their internal and open innovation activities, provide technical assistance to partners and develop and share knowledge around platform activities to other FSD Africa Pillars.
This position will sit within FSD Africa’s Risk & Resilience Pillar and will report to the Principal, Innovation for Resilience.
Duties and Responsibilities
Build a network of innovation partners
Lead the development of a diversified database of potential partners, across multiple industries within the African FinTech ecosystem. Each partner category should support one or more of the platform activities/initiatives.
- Define the priorities of each partner category and design win-win activities/initiatives that contribute to FSD Africa objectives while being aligned to the needs of that category of partners.
- Carry out initial ecosystem mapping of potential platform partners and users in selected markets to gain a deep and comprehensive understanding of the needs and requirements of ecosystem stakeholders.
- Actively manage the relationships with all partners and drive their engagement with both the platform and the initiatives, such as BimaLab – an insurtech accelerator and ecosystem-building initiative.
- Work collaboratively with the Digital Economy pillar and FSD Africa Investments to contribute to the achievement of their relevant objectives.
Project origination and design
Identify and develop a coherent pipeline of activities which will collectively be effective in stimulating digital financial innovation in the insurance industry in Africa.
- Design a series of activities and initiatives that aim at developing a pipeline of InsurTech start-ups, facilitate partnerships with incumbent insurance companies, contribute to growing investment flow into InsurTech start-ups, improve market awareness of InsurTechs role in improving resilience, engaging regulators and other government agencies with the InsurTech ecosystem in Africa.
- Ensure that all staff, consultants, and activity partners involved in a project are fully briefed concerning expectations; especially on project milestone targets, quality standards, data collection/reporting and compliance with accountability requirements.
- Develop detailed activity implementation plan and budget and address capacity gaps of partners, especially around open innovation.
- Co-ordinate the roll-out of digital innovation activities so that results are achieved, risks are managed, and quality outputs are delivered; ensuring that ongoing learning from projects is fully utilised to maximise impact and innovation:
- Work with activity partners to assist them in implementing their projects according to the agreed project plans, maintaining a strategic clarity, focus on impact, and collaborative approach.
- In case of an activity partner having challenges, provide technical assistance, or organise the provision of support to ensure activity pilot /launch success.
- Develop and share periodical reports and updates on project implementation and take appropriate action based on results and analysis:
- If desired results have been achieved, initiate strategies for widespread awareness-raising and ‘crowding in’, focusing on applying leverage, replication of the activity, and scaling.
- If desired results have not been achieved, either manage performance of the implementation team or adjust the strategy/approach.
- Identify, report on and mitigate project risks in a timely manner (project delivery and partnership management).
Communicating for Impact
Actively participate in the development and implementation of an advocacy and communications plan for all platform digital innovation initiatives within the context of the Risk & Resilience Pillar’s communications approach; ensuring that the approach will result in extensive awareness-building, engagement around topics of InsurTech digital ecosystem building, accelerating innovation within insurance industry , growing the platform partner and user database, strategic partnerships established, behavioural changes of ecosystem stakeholders in both private and public spheres and created measurable impact .
- Consult and collaborate with the Risk & Resilience Pillar and Strategic Communications team to identify how stakeholders need to be influenced to support the success of digital innovation activities/ initiatives; this may include a need to advocate for legislative/policy reform or to incentivise (or some other supporting mechanism) greater action amongst potential beneficiaries for mindset change.
- Work collaboratively with the Strategic Communications team and Development Impact function to develop and implement work plans and budgets; ensuring that efforts are monitored and evaluated to ensure impact, and this impact is articulated.
- Contribute to the implementation of the Strategic Communications plan. This will include managing and hosting events, developing content for written materials (blogs, editorials, op-eds, contributing to content development on our website), participating in advocacy campaigns, attending conferences and events etc.
- Participate in and contribute to the development of annual and quarterly reports, including our publicly facing strategy documents and impact assessments.
- Represent FSD Africa in public forums and networking opportunities, always behaving in a manner consistent with FSD Africa’s brand, values, policies, and protocols.
Education, Qualifications & Experience
Qualifications and Education
- Superior quality bachelor’s degree from a recognised university
- Professional qualification and relevant accreditations
- Postgraduate degree in a relevant field (Actuarial Sciences, Information Technology, Project Management, Development Studies, – Public Policy, Finance, or other relevant fields). Is desirable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
Essential Experience, Knowledge, and Skills
- Minimum of 5 years’ post-graduation experience of working in a field relevant to innovation preferably in the financial industry, telecommunications industry or information technology industry across multiple countries and institutions, including in Africa.
- Experience in driving engagement and building community through an online platform.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining collaborative and trusted relationships with implementing partners, private-sector players and government & public agency counterparts.
- Excellent knowledge and conceptual understanding of the financial industry sectors and technology applications/use cases targeting financial industry.
- Demonstrated track record of rigorous project management skills and achievement of results across interconnected and complicated workstreams (with preference for experience managing digital innovation function or related projects).
- Demonstrated skills in managing large budgets, managing risk and ensuring value for money; ability to manage large project portfolios across multiple countries.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate the work of internal colleagues and oversee external suppliers and providers.
- Excellent interpersonal and influencing skills, with an ability to engage effectively with Senior Management.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Experience of working in a multi-cultural environment
- Previous experience of working in donor-funded projects, preference for those funded through UK aid.
- Languages: English, French will be an added advantage.
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Contract Terms: Permanent
How to Apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please complete the Application Form below on or before 5th April 2023. In addition, we encourage you to please attach a copy of the most recent English version of your CV.
All information will be treated in the strictest confidence.
If you have an initial query rather than an application, kindly email us at [email protected]
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by FSD Africa to undertake this assignment.