This is an exceptional opportunity to join a leading international foundation in a leadership role, which ensures the effective and efficient operation of all Oak offices and its grant-making activity. The director is responsible for oversight of Oak’s core services including: Finance; Grant Administration; Human Resources; and Information Technology. The director also has oversight for office facilities and real estate, and in the absence of in-house legal counsel, is the first port of call for matters related to contracts and Oak legal entities. The director is a strategic thought-partner for the President in clarifying how best to achieve the Trustees’ ambitions. The director will have a leading role in reimagining the organisations’ operations as Oak Foundation absorbs five new Trustees over the next decade. Based in the Geneva office, the director has management responsibility for five direct reports and an overall team of approximately 25 employees.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with the Trustees, the President, and the senior leadership team to ensure that Oak remains a world-class environment in which staff are able to deliver their best work to fulfill the foundation’s mission of making the world a safer, fairer, and more sustainable place to live. Oversight of Oak’s core operations, including charting and realising a shared vision for flexible and adaptable systems and processes which enhance the ability of our programmes to quickly adjust and evolve to a fast-changing environment.
- Ensure that the foundation meets the highest standards of fiscal stewardship, risk management and operational excellence, while remaining agile and innovative.
- Work with function heads to set clear priorities and objectives to optimise institutional delivery of a knowledge-based organisation which promotes collaboration and decision-making.
- Work with function heads to identify operational capabilities to be built in-house versus outsourced (e.g., Finance, IT, HR).
- Benchmark Oak systems, policies, and processes against peers and constantly seek to adapt best practice to the Oak context and culture.
- Advise the President on all aspects of our grant-making processes and operations.
- Work in close coordination with the Secretary on ensuring board resolutions are prepared to document relevant decisions. Review any proposed changes to agreements and contracts, or language in new contracts, and raise any issues to the Secretary prior to signature. Liaise with the family office, third party Trustees, banks etc. as required to ensure optimal coordination and respond to any queries.
- Forge, manage, and maintain excellent relationships with peer foundations, with a view to encourage collaboration and information sharing.
- Represent Oak on various philanthropy networks and contribute to building the field through participation in various initiatives (e.g., Funders for Real Cost, Real Change, IFR4NPO).
- Promote a creative, solution-oriented, and enabling mindset among the Operations team.
- Lead the Operations team with a collaborative, supportive, and empathetic leadership style that is able to achieve and maintain clarity, performance, and decision-making.
- Maintain and strengthen the strong business partner relationships between programme teams and operation staff, and foster a collegiate culture where team members share targets and responsibilities.
Education, Qualifications & Experience
- Advanced University Degree in a related field, with a minimum of 10-15 years of proven management experience in overseeing comparable complexity and scale of operations in an international environment.
- Broad experience leading diverse operational functions and teams, and a proven ability to multi-task.
- Demonstrated experience leading diverse, multi-cultural teams. Work and lived experience in the global south is a plus.
- Proven ability to build consensus and successfully operate in an ambiguous, fluid environment.
- Track record of successfully meeting or exceeding organisational targets and driving significant impact. Proven ability to leverage financial and operational metrics to drive organisational decisions and achieve strategic objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and motivate a team of senior-level, diverse, international professionals.
- Ability to represent Operations and Oak Foundation with clarity and impact to a range of stakeholders.
- Previous work experience or board membership within a philanthropic organisation is highly desirable. A diverse experience in working with corporate, financial, and multilateral sectors would also be valuable.
- Advanced research and analytical skills.
- Excellent relationship-building and negotiation skills, and ability to engage internal and external stakeholders.
- Deep knowledge of non-profit legal structures, tax exemptions, financial accounting, budgeting, and organisational strategy.
- Strong critical thinking skills and ability to analyse information from variety of sources, including potential and current grantees, researchers, and the media.
- Excellent written and oral English communication skills, fluency in French is strongly preferred, other languages are a plus.
Qualities and values
- Humility, tact, maturity, a sense of humour, and a deep commitment to Oak’s organisational values.
- Sensitivity to the relationships between funder and recipient, and the ability and willingness to listen and learn from partners.
- Humility and deep commitment to the empowerment and voice of others, as well as to continuous learning.
- Willingness to travel (approx. 10-15 per cent, including multiple international trips each year).
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time position. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. A benefits package is also included.
This role is located in Geneva, Switzerland with the possibility to work from home two days a week.
Candidates must be willing to relocate to Geneva, Switzerland to be considered for this role. Visa sponsorship is an option.
How to Apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please complete the Application Form below on or before 6th October 2022. In addition, we encourage you to please attach a copy of the most recent English version of your CV and a motivational letter.
All information will be treated in the strictest confidence.
If you have an initial query rather than an application, kindly email us at [email protected].
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by Oak Foundation to undertake this assignment