We’re seeking a results-driven and passionate individual, with a track record of advancing policy change and thought leadership in international health and development, to join our organization as the Director of Global Advocacy. He/she will help to build awareness and advance changes in policies, practices, and resourcing for community health and community health workers.
The Director of Global Advocacy will be an influencer and thought leader, championing and shaping agendas surrounding community health in Africa and globally. He/she will lead the organization’s global, regional, and country advocacy strategies to improve policies, practices, and financing of community health by key bilateral and multilateral donors, technical bodies, partner NGOs, and national and sub-national governments. The Director of Global Advocacy will advise and provide strategic support to our Africa-based partnerships, advocacy, and communications teams to advance national and sub-national advocacy efforts.
The Director of Global Advocacy will serve as an international ambassador and thought leader, for both the organization and the community health sector more broadly. He/she will be expected to represent Living Goods in high-level meetings, develop communications that advance our advocacy and thought leadership agendas, and pursue opportunities for Living Goods to engage with high-level stakeholders.
Policy and Advocacy Strategy Development and Implementation
- Lead the development and execution of Living Goods’ global, regional, and country-level advocacy strategies, focusing on influencing key bilateral and multilateral funders, technical bodies, partner NGOs, and national and sub-national governments.
- Drive excellence across country advocacy programs by providing strategic support to country teams to ensure the success of country-level advocacy initiatives, including advising on the development of country-level advocacy strategies; implementing robust monitoring and evaluation mechanisms to assess the effectiveness of advocacy initiatives and developing improvement strategies as needed; and ensuring the integration of advocacy best practices into daily operations.
- Track and analyze global and regional policy developments and trends relevant to community health and lead organizational efforts to influence these policies and trends.
- Develop and deploy strategic communications to advance Living Goods’ advocacy priorities, leveraging our evidence and learnings; speak and write (e.g., blogs and thought pieces) across influential platforms; and support other organizational leaders to do the same.
- Craft compelling advocacy messages that resonate with target audiences.
Internal and External Stakeholder Engagement
- Create and manage high-profile engagements on community health to advance advocacy priorities and to position Living Goods as a credible thought leader in community health.
- Provide strategic oversight of Living Goods’ engagement in high-profile events and conferences (e.g., the UN General Assembly and the Conference on Public Health in Africa), leveraging Living Goods leaders and technical teams along with community health worker advocates.
- Serve as an external ambassador of the organization, representing Living Goods with key external constituencies. This includes both formal and informal presentations, including speaking at events and conferences.
- Build and manage partnerships, coalitions, and alliances to advance the organization’s advocacy goals.
- Manage internal stakeholders across multiple teams in a highly matrixed and collaborative fashion, closely collaborating with Country, Business Development, Communications, and Program teams to ensure accountability, strategic alignment, and results.
- Train internal teams on advocacy best practice to ensure a unified and effective approach.
- Provide strategic guidance and support to team members to enhance their skills in advocacy planning and execution.
- Keep organization informed of emerging trends in the community health sector, leveraging information gained from engagement with external stakeholders.
- Lead and mentor a team of at least two policy and advocacy professionals based in the U.S. and East Africa; provide strategic oversight of country advocacy teams in Kenya, Uganda, and Burkina Faso.
- Manage external consultants and other vendors to support in the execution of organizational advocacy strategies.
- Manage advocacy team members’ performance, development needs, and career growth.
- Set up effective shared services (structure and ways of working) to provide high-quality cross-functional and cross-geography support.
Essential Qualifications, Experience & Attributes
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field, or a combination of education and experience that yields the required competencies; Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 10 years of experience working in government, advocacy and/or public affairs aimed at influencing policy change in the Africa region and globally.
- Proven track record of successfully influencing policy change and building strategic partnerships within the Africa region and globally.
- Knowledge of global health and development issues; experience with primary health care and community health in the Africa region strongly preferred.
- Ability to work autonomously combined with experience working remotely and with global staff.
- Experience developing and managing efforts to influence policymakers, institutional funders, and other external stakeholders.
- Strong analysis, writing, editing and public speaking skills targeting broad and diverse stakeholders.
- Creative, energetic and innovative approach to identifying solutions.
- Ability to work with efficiency and diplomacy.
- Proven ability to build and cultivate strong relationships.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please ensure you complete the Application Form provided below by 23 February 2024 (23:59 hrs, GMT +3). It is essential that you submit your CV in English, specifically in Microsoft Word format (.doc/.docx).
Applications in other languages or formats will not be considered.
Rest assured, all information will be handled with the utmost confidentiality.
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by Living Goods to undertake this assignment.