The Director of Communications and Campaigns is an FT-exempt position reporting to the President and CEO and joining Equimundo’s Leadership team. This position will lead collaborations with major brands, develop a vision and action plan for the organization’s communications campaigns across media platforms, drive a global conversation about the role of men and boys in advancing gender equality, and will collaborate with leaders in our network to amplify the voices of global experts and the organization’s work with incredible international partner organizations. The Director of Communications and Campaigns is joining Equimundo at an exciting inflection point and will play a critical role in helping shape the implementation of the organization's new strategic plan.
You are an ideal candidate for this role if you are a skilled relationship manager, an experienced communications professional with a background in issue advocacy or non-profit comms, and have a strong management background that includes oversight of communications-related budgets, contracts, and personnel. You love figuring out new angles and entry points on a story, and you’re thinking about what motivates and incentivizes people to act. You are someone who sees exciting possibilities to take action and thrives when taking a concept from ideation to execution. You are also a collaborative leader who isn’t afraid to roll up your sleeves, and you share a deep commitment to gender and social justice.
Duties and Responsibilities
The primary responsibilities of the Director of Communications and Campaigns include:
- Media Relations: Drive high-impact organizational media relations strategy.
- Take ownership of earned media approach for organizational initiatives
- Manage day-to-day media outreach to develop the overarching Equimundo narrative
- Monitor the news cycle to identify proactive opportunities for media coverage; be creative in identifying opportunities to integrate issues relevant to masculinities and Equimundo’s studies in the news cycle, and create media moments for the organization, issues, and launches of our landmark studies (e.g., State of the World’s Fathers, The Man Box, Representations of Masculinities in TV & Streaming, The Double-Edged Sword of Online Gaming, etc.)
- Manage rapid response opportunities; identifying a plan of action, message, and crisis control if needed, in conjunction with the President and CEO
- Manage paid media opportunities in conjunction with the digital strategy consultants
- Build media lists, manage distributions, and provide regular reporting
- Liaise with external media partners and agencies
- Spokesperson Cultivation: Work with the organization’s network to develop senior leadership, advocates, and Equimundo surrogates as spokespeople for media opportunities.
- Identify media opportunities for senior leadership and advocate spokespeople to build dialogue around Equimundo’s issue areas and campaigns
- Run media training workshops, media prep, and after-action media reviews for spokespeople
- Prioritize building a diverse bench of spokespeople
- Campaign Leadership, Branding, and Messaging: Develop organizational message and materials, and provide message and design input and consistency across the organization, emphasizing Equimundo’s flagship campaigns (MenCare and Global Boyhood Initiative).
- Write and edit high-quality materials for the press: op-eds, press releases, talking points, issue statements, etc.
- Provide message guidance and highlight opportunities to digital strategists for social media, email, mobile advocacy, ads, and our website
- Provide message and media guidance for partnerships and program initiatives
- Lead message training with staff and key stakeholders (e.g., board members and fellows)
- Ensure communications guideline documents are up-to-date
- Collaborate with research and program departments to ensure proposed products align with the intended impact and audience
- Develop and manage Equimundo’s flagship campaigns (i.e., MenCare, Global Boyhood Initiative, etc.) and events that advance Equimundo’s narrative shift portfolio, expand awareness of Equimundo’s key issues, and support fundraising efforts
- Liaise with key corporate sector partners that support Equimundo campaigns
- Thought leadership: Work with the President and CEO to develop and implement thought leadership opportunities tied to significant tentpoles.
- Propose pitches based on Equimundo’s research and programs, and lead outreaches to key traditional media outlets and podcast networks
- Support with the development of interviews, series, and media events (both content development and stakeholder outreach)
- Provide tailored support and prep to organizational leadership, including the development of talking points and draft content as appropriate
- Publication Production and Social Media Oversight
- Manage the communications team (staff: Digital Marketing and Content Associate, Content Strategy and Editorial Associate, and consultants)
- As department head, manage department budget, including estimates and concepts for communications-related projects (including sub-contracts, production costs, and staff time), as well as directly manage selected communications-related projects (including management of budget and workplans)
- As a member of the Leadership team, collaborate with other senior leadership to inform decisions relevant to the organization and its workplace culture
Education, Qualifications & Experience
- You have a strong commitment to Equimundo’s mission and organizational values.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in a related field (e.g., communications, public relations, marketing, gender studies, business, etc.) and a minimum of 5-7 years of communications experience, including in designing and executing communications strategy; developing communications for campaigns; and ensuring brand-management across channels.
- You prioritize building strong, ongoing relationships with press members and look for opportunities to leverage these relationships to move the work forward.
- You are persistent and relentless. If you need a response from someone, you have no problem picking up the phone as often as needed.
- You’re a voracious media consumer. You are up to speed on all the news and can spot opportunities to tell a compelling story in any news cycle.
- You’re a strong writer. You’re comfortable writing multiple types of content, including press releases, op-eds, and other thought leadership content.
- You’ve worked collaboratively and are excited to work responsively with program, research, development, and operations staff. You can offer and receive corrections with kindness and good humor.
- You are a supportive leader who believes in your staff's professional growth and work experience.
- You are deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. You’re kind to others and yourself.
- You have experience with technological tools essential for marketing and communications needs, including but not limited to Salesforce, mass marketing platforms, content engagement trackers, etc.
Desired Qualifications (not mandatory)
- Fluency in a second language – Spanish and/or French is preferred
- An understanding of the US and global gender equality space and the key partner organizations
- Experience working with diverse teams and partners across sectors (including women’s rights groups, corporate partners, government representatives, and civil society).
- Experience managing a major digital development project (e.g., website design (WordPress); and graphic design (Adobe Creative Suite, Canva); SEO; online fundraising)
Terms of Appointment
This position may be based in D.C. (with a hybrid work-from-home/office model) or remotely in the U.S. with a focus on an EST schedule and requires 30% travel. UK based professionals will also be considered.
How to Apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please complete the Application Form below on or before 29 November 2022. In addition, we encourage you to please attach a copy of the most recent English version of your CV.
All information will be treated in the strictest confidence.
If you have an initial query rather than an application, kindly email us at [email protected]
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by Equimundo to undertake this assignment.