The Markets, Trade, and Institutions (MTI) Unit, housed at the International Food Policy Research institute, and the Systems Transformation Science Group of the CGIAR, generates innovative, evidence-based market-oriented policy solutions to help drive inclusive economic growth in low- and middle-income countries. MTI identifies policies to transform agricultural and rural economies through the detailed analysis of local, regional, and global economic environments, trade conditions, and value chains and carrying out focused research, principally in Africa, Asia, and Latin America, alongside global issues including identifying implications for the Global South.
The Director, MTI, sets the direction for the MTI unit and provides oversight and strategic guidance to research teams. The role guides related partnership and initiative development, engages in resource mobilization, and advances efforts to achieve the transformation of food, land, and water systems in a climate crisis. Key research areas include innovations for inclusive value chains, trade, agricultural support, competition policy, labor markets, finance, crisis response, and food and water safety. The role leads initiatives to strengthen capacity and share knowledge across CGIAR whilst contributing to global agenda setting and discussions concerning trade and food policy.
The position is based at the International Food Policy Research in Washington, DC. The MTI Director also serves on IFPRI’s Senior Management Team to support institutional governance. More information about the MTI unit and IFPRI is available here: Markets, Trade, and Institutions (MTI) | IFPRI : International Food Policy Research Institute
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead technical and strategic development of a coherent portfolio of research efforts on markets, trade, and institutions, in alignment with related research projects and teams in IFPRI and CGIAR, to support strategic evolution of the unit’s research agenda.
- Oversee the formulation of business/operational plans in alignment with IFPRI’s and CGIAR’s Research and Innovation Strategies and contribute to the development of regional strategies and roadmaps for the unit’s research.
- Direct the implementation of CGIAR's research portfolio in work related to markets, trade, and institutions and oversee the successful delivery of activities of the MTI unit.
- Oversee the coordination and integration of markets, trade and institutions elements across all related portfolios to ensure that opportunities for extending and expanding research areas are fully realized and capitalized upon.
- Develop and empower the team to deliver innovative approaches to markets, trade and institutions which serve to enhance the impact made.
- Lead and participate in resource mobilization efforts, working within and across entities and units at IFPRI and across CGIAR, to successfully increase funding available from existing and new funding mechanisms.
- Network with relevant units across IFPRI and the CGIAR, provide relevant advice and support the development of research innovation networks and integrative approaches which build capacity and enhance the impact being made across Systems Transformation.
- Build collaborative relationships at strategic levels and represent IFPRI and CGIAR as a thought-leader for markets, trade, and institutions to position CGIAR as a leading authority in this area.
- Network with stakeholders and potential stakeholders to identify and cultivate opportunities for strategic partnerships, further collaboration and significant sources of funding.
- Design and develop approaches to ensure responsible resource management of the Markets, Trade and Institutions portfolio, promote efficiencies, and guide the development of annual work plans, schedules and budgets.
- Develop mechanisms to ensure the overall quality assurance of research, delivery of capacity-building activities, and effective communication of outputs generated by the Unit.
- Establish mechanisms to ensure the effective use of innovative research methodologies in Markets, Trade and Institutions.
Education and Experience
- PhD in a field such as economics, agricultural economics, development economics, public policy or another relevant discipline.
- Demonstrated experience in a senior research position associated with markets, trade and institutions in an international organization.
- Proven track record as a research leader and manager in the field of markets, trade and institutions, including a substantial publications record.
- Demonstrated research experience in policy analysis and in developing policy recommendations.
- Deep knowledge of the research-for-development landscape globally and the roles of key actors in government, funders, implementing partners, and academic institutions.
- Recognized as a strategic systems thinker.
- Demonstrated recognition in professional networks due to publications and other leadership activities.
- Demonstrated ability to serve as an agent of change, keen to take a leadership role in building a unified and strong culture for innovation in a dynamic, integrated, and agile CGIAR.
- Record of success in mobilizing resources.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills; experience in working collaboratively with people at all levels in a decentralized, respectful, multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary organization, and with external stakeholders and partners.
- Proven ability to integrate and inspire high-performing multidisciplinary teams and manage talent, with a strong commitment to promoting diversity, knowledge sharing, and staff development.
- Ability to effectively build and communicate a common vision among diverse internal and external stakeholders.
- Excellent communicator and effective public speaker.
- Consistent record of upholding the highest ethical standards by inspiring trust and treating all people with respect and personal integrity.
- Excellent English competency, both in writing and speaking.
- Additional language skills are an advantage.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please ensure you complete the Application Form provided below by 08 December 2023. It is essential that you submit your CV in English, specifically in Microsoft Word format (.doc/.docx).
Applications in other languages or formats will not be considered.
Rest assured, all information will be handled with the utmost confidentiality.
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by CGIAR to undertake this assignment.