Reporting to the Deputy Executive Director (DED) for Delivery and Partnerships, the GPG Director provides strategic guidance and oversight to the GVA and NYPO Directors.
The GPG Director works with the GVA and NYPO Directors to ensure continuous alignment of goals and effective delivery of projects and services which meet the specific needs and expectations of clients and partners while adhering to organizational rules and standards across the global portfolios.
Based in New York, the GPG Director works in concert with HQ Directors, Regional Directors and Directors of Hosted Partnerships to ensure that appropriate levels of ongoing management, policy, operational, and partnerships development support are continuously provided to the global and hosted portfolios.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of functions:
- Strategic Alignment and Direction
- Global Portfolios Functional Leadership
- People Leadership
- Representation and Inter-Agency Partnership
- Knowledge Management and Innovation
Strategic Alignment and Direction
- Define overarching strategic and operational priorities for the Geneva (GVA) Office and New York Portfolios Office (NYPO) in line with UNOPS multi-year strategic plan.
- Provide guidance and inputs across GPG’s end-to-end strategy formulation activities. Ensure global portfolios are able to identify common challenges and opportunities, synergize efforts and resources where feasible, and leverage cross-cutting capabilities to deliver the distinct range of services offered by each global portfolio to meet the complex and multi-faceted needs and expectations of clients and partners.
- Raise visibility of global portfolio priorities in standard-setting and corporate-planning activities driven by UNOPS’ Management and Policy functions. Work with Directors of Finance, Infrastructure and Project Management, Procurement, People and Culture, IT, Risk and Compliance, and Shared Services Centre (SSC) to ensure that centrally-managed policies, processes and procedures enable global portfolios to deliver services effectively and efficiently.
- In consultation with GVA and NYPO Directors, work with the Partnerships and Liaison Director, as well as Regional Office Directors, to identify and drive collaboration opportunities at global, regional and country levels.
- Contribute to the formulation of UNOPS’ overall strategies and policies by providing relevant advice to the Deputy Executive Director (DED) for Delivery and Partnerships. Participate in senior management deliberations on current and future operations.
Global Portfolios Functional Leadership
- Delegate authority and leadership to GVA and NYPO Directors to establish and cascade strategic goals and objectives across their global portfolios.
- Recommend major changes and/or alignments in operations to the DED-Delivery and Partnerships to enhance and/or maintain efficacy.
- Monitor the performance of the global portfolios. Oversee progress towards annual objectives and make decisions to ensure the delivery of results as planned and according to clients’ and partners’ expectations. Recommend major changes and/or alignments in operations to the DED-Delivery and Partnerships to enhance and/or maintain efficacy.
- Provide the Executive Director, DED-Delivery and Partnerships, and other members of the global leadership team with timely and accurate management reports as well as strategic advice and proposals related to the Global Portfolios function, thereby ensuring implications, opportunities and risks of business decisions are fully considered and aligned with UNOPS’ purpose.
- Continuously evaluate overall global portfolio activities and initiatives to ensure alignment with UNOPS strategic plans, frameworks and standards of accountability, ethics and integrity.
- Work with direct reports to plan, recruit and develop a flexible workforce with the competencies needed to drive optimal performance while ensuring gender and geographical diversity.
- As a member of UNOPS global leadership team, role-model UNOPS values and behavioral competencies.
- Promote teamwork and collaboration across GPG, ensuring team members have clear direction, objectives and guidance to enable them perform their duties responsibly, effectively and efficiently.
- Foster a positive work environment that is respectful of all. Ensure appropriate focus on team well-being, empowerment, diversity and inclusion and that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
Representation and Inter-Agency Partnerships
- Represent UNOPS in senior inter-agency and external meetings/ bodies including Hosted Entities’ Boards and Steering Committees to promote the organization, contribute to policy discussion, and identify potential areas for UNOPS partnership and engagement.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners, colleagues and stakeholders to keep abreast of evolving trends, advocate UNOPS services and build partnerships/ alliances to maintain/ enhance UNOPS visibility in project services in development cooperation.
- Build and maintain public/ media relations to actively engage interest/ support in promoting and communicating UNOPS achievements, competencies and interest in global development.
- Represent UNOPS at key global events (including media and public relations events) and meetings to speak on the organization's goals, priorities and capabilities. Build and maintain alliances to promote and/or advocate UNOPS’ position as a partner of choice in sustainable development.
Knowledge Management and Innovation
- Oversee the successful implementation of policies, standards and tools to effectively manage global portfolios and enhance/ maintain UNOPS competitive edge as a provider of effective project services for sustainable results.
- Lead the ongoing research, development and implementation of best practice and innovative approaches to maximize performance and sustain achievements.
- Drive knowledge sharing and strategic communications with corporate functions, ensuring collaboration and continuous feedback through communications networks and other channels, as appropriate.
- Lead the planning, implementation and organization of strategic capacity building of personnel, partners and stakeholders for strategic business development and engagement.
Impact of Results
- The effective and successful achievement of results by the GPG Director directly impacts on the visibility and image of the UNOPS brand, as an effective service provider in project services and management and consequently strengthens its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services.
- Strategic Perspective: Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization. (Applicable only for levels ICS-10 and above).
- Integrity & Inclusion: Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Leading Self and Others: Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilising appropriate leadership styles.
- Partnering: Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Results Orientation: Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Agility: Open to change and flexible in a fast-paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behaviour. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Solution Focused: Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Effective Communication: Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Education, Qualifications & Experience
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field is required.
- A Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) combined with 2 additional years of relevant work experience can be accepted in lieu of the Master’s degree (total of 17 years of experience).
- A minimum of 15 years of experience that combines strategic and managerial leadership in public affairs, management, business development planning and operations in a large international and/or corporate organization.
- Proven ability to manage, supervise and lead a team.
- Experience establishing partnerships with UN agencies, international development organizations, governments, foundations, international NGOs or private sector organizations is desirable.
- Experience in the UN system organizations and/or a developing country is desirable.
- Full working knowledge of English.
- Knowledge of additional official UN languages is an advantage.
This position will be based in New York, USA.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please ensure you complete the Application Form provided below by 31 December 2023. It is essential that you submit your CV in English, specifically in Microsoft Word format (.doc/.docx).
Applications in other languages or formats will not be considered.
Rest assured, all information will be handled with the utmost confidentiality.
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by UNOPS to undertake this assignment.