The Controller will lead the planning, implementation, and supervision of the Controller's Department (CTL's) vision, strategy, and work plan in support of Asian Development Bank (ADB) goals. Oversee the quality of work and ensure the achievement of objectives of the department as regards financial reporting, internal control over financial reporting integrated framework and oversight function, safeguarding trust funds, authorizing loan, grant, technical assistance disbursements, administrative expenses, improving business processes and developing policies and procedures. Build, strengthen and maintain external and internal relations, coordination, and consultation initiatives for the department. Keep ADB's Board and Senior Management informed of emerging financial administration and policies. Anticipate CTL's resource requirements and ensure the efficient allocation of budget and resources. Manage a range of long-term issues of strategic importance and with long term implications for the direction and performance of ADB. Provide overall guidance and supervision on day-to-day operational issues and compliance with ADB policies.
Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership and Strategic Management
- Establish and cascade the department's vision, goals, development strategies, and key result areas (KRAs) in support of ADB's goals and in compliance with ADB policies.
- Oversee the planning, implementation and supervision of CTL's work programs as well as monitor the quality of outputs, achievement of long-term goals and annual objectives for the department.
- Maintain a high level of integrity through active communication with staff.
Financial Reporting, Analysis and Oversight
- Oversee the accurate and timely completion of annual/quarterly/monthly financial reports for Management, Board of Directors, and shareholders.
- Oversee the establishment, maintenance, and implementation of adequate internal control system to ensure that all ADB's financial transactions, including those relating to special funds and trust funds under ADB administration are properly, completely, and accurately recorded and are consistent with ADB's policies and procedures.
- Provide leadership in the establishment and implementation of the Integrated Internal Control Framework, in coordination with the Information Technology Department and the External Auditors, as basis for ADB's Management Assertion and the External Auditors' Attestation about the adequate internal control over ADB's financial reporting.
- Safeguard trust funds under the administration of ADB.
- Strengthen department capability on data analytics and streamlining of reporting process to introduce effective processes.
- Oversee the arrangement of audits conducted by external auditors.
- Manage the overall operations of the disbursements processed by resident missions, including Secondary Disbursement Processing Center (SDPC) at Viet Nam resident mission (VRM).
Administrative and Other Expenses Processing and Accounting
- Oversee payment authorization of all administrative expenses including salaries, allowances, and benefits under the Staff Retirement Plan and the disbursements of loans, equity investments, technical assistance, trust funds, and other funds of similar nature administered by ADB to ensure all payments and disbursements are made in line with policies, regulations and agreed terms and conditions.
- Oversee effective day-to-day operations of the department in terms of operations planning, policy and procedures adherence, quality control, budget and human resources management, and staff development.
- Support and advise Management on matters related to financial administration and policies.
- Oversee the effective coordination and cooperation with other ADB departments/offices and internal stakeholders.
- Ensure that key information related to CTL's operations are integrated in the ADB-wide Emergency Management Plan.
- Manage budget and resource allocation for the department, ensuring efficient allocation and utilization of resources, including staffing and training requirements.
- Provide support for relationship management and coordination with the Board, Senior Management, and other departments.
- Create and lead multidisciplinary teams and ensure the overall quality of its work.
- Manage the performance of teams and individuals providing clear direction and regular monitoring and feedback on performance.
- Provide coaching and mentoring to team and individuals and ensure their on-going learning and development.
- Support and pursue appropriate gender balance.
- Reinforce and promote Culture Transformation Initiative (CTI) core values within the department.
Education, Qualifications & Experience
- Master's degree, or equivalent, in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Information Technology, or related fields; or University degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Information Technology, or related fields, with professional qualification such as Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant (CA), and at least 10 years specialized experience relevant to the position can be considered.
- At least 15 years of professional experience in a senior controllership-related position with a large banking/financial institution, preferably a multi-lateral development organizations.
- Proven management and leadership qualities in a multinational and multi-culture environment.
- Ability to lead and manage diverse team of international staff, national staff, and administrative staff, as well as to interact effectively with staff, Management, Board Members, senior government officials, and other external counterparts.
- Knowledge of the U.S. and International Generally Accepted Accounting Principles.
- Strong understanding to oversee sound internal controls over financial reporting.
- Substantial exposure to the design and implementation of modern accounting and other relevant IT systems.
- Understanding of the operational policies and programs of ADB or similar multilateral development organizations.
- Good interpersonal and multidisciplinary skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- International experience working in several countries.
- Please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff level 9/10.
How to Apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please complete the Application Form below on or before 21 February 2023. In addition, we encourage you to please attach a copy of the most recent English version of your CV.
All information will be treated in the strictest confidence.
If you have an initial query rather than an application, kindly email us at [email protected]
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by IFC to undertake this assignment.