This position of the Chief Financial Officer is responsible for overseeing all fiscal and fiduciary obligations of the Rainforest Alliance and its affiliates, in conjunction with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Board of Directors, and the Finance and Audit & Risk Committees of the Board. The position will provide vision, set strategy and ensure the effective management of the Finance, Accounting, and Global Administration subunits globally, coordinating closely with the other divisions. As a key leader in a dynamic and changing organization, this role is an innovative, hands-on leader who will strategically assess, develop, implement and maintain strong systems and procedures for all the Rainforest Alliance offices worldwide. As a member of the Executive Leadership Team (LT), the incumbent will collaborate in setting the strategic direction of the Rainforest Alliance and play a key role in the activities and initiatives related to it.
Duties and Responsibilities
Strategy and Vision
- Provide strategic leadership and oversight to Accounting, Finance and Global Administration teams to ensure that the guidance and support provided by these subunits effectively facilitate organizational growth and change while guarding against risk
- Manage organizational risk by working with executive management in analyzing the impact of proposed initiatives, expenditures, and/or policy changes
- Serve as a key strategist with the Board and executive management in managing financial and administrative growth
- Partner with commercial and external facing functions to drive growth through the identification and development of key strategic partnerships with external stakeholders.
- Operational Leadership
- Drive excellence, organizational efficiency and effectiveness by aligning support functions with the needs of effective program delivery
- Ensure high quality support, communications, and training in finance, admins, etc., to the rest of the organization
- Ensure strategic management of the information systems-related elements of the organization’s programmatic needs, including project management, relationship management, auditing, and Traceability, providing oversight of systems and policies in place to trace Rainforest Alliance certified products and proper management of the invoicing process
- Oversee the financial implications of Global Contracts & Grants to streamline key functions, facilitate decision making, and deliver quality administrative support globally
- Ensure domestic and foreign office financial operations are effectively managed
- Other duties as assigned.
- Oversee the implementation and review of financial, accounting and budgeting systems, policies and procedures
- Manage the Rainforest Alliance’s investments and cash flow, and provide oversight of 403(B) retirement plan
- Ensure timely and accurate preparation and submission of filings, audits and financial reports to management, donors, and regulatory agencies for the parent company and all subsidiaries and branches
- Ensure new Rainforest Alliance offices are established according to local financial laws and standards
- Review and maintain company insurance coverage, lead Risk Management team and review and maintain appropriate insurance coverage; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- The incumbent will directly supervise 5 direct reports (Director, Accounting, Director, Finance, Director Knowledge Management, Director IT, and Financial Systems Project Manager)
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education, Qualifications & Experience
Relevant finance certification or qualification required.
- 15+ years’ experience with a progressive career towards as a senior financial and operations manager
- Experience with international organizations as well as a multi-office, multi-national environment (non-profit experience preferred)
- Exposure to cross-border taxation issues highly preferred
- Experience with US and European Government as well as multi-lateral agency grant reporting and management preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with direct experience in working with and presenting to Boards
- Collaborative management and working style with a diverse workforce
- Strong leadership and managerial skills with ability to delegate, train, coach and motivate staff
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook with demonstrated experience in accounting software)
- Energetic self-starter with demonstrated ability to think strategically, tactically, and creatively
- Spanish language skills highly preferred
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and problem solve in a dynamic, growing organization; and
- Commitment to the Rainforest Alliance’s mission and values.
Open to discussion
How to Apply
If you wish to be considered for this position, please complete the Application Form below on or before 5 October 2022. In addition, we encourage you to please attach a copy of the most recent English version of your CV.
All information will be treated in the strictest confidence.
If you have an initial query rather than an application, kindly email us at [email protected].
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by Rainforest Allicance to undertake this assignment.