Deputy Head of Service (PBF)
About the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
The OECD is a global economic forum working with 36 member countries and more than 100 emerging and developing economies to make better policies for better lives. Their mission is to promote policies that will improve the economic and social well-being of people around the world. The Organisation provides a unique forum in which governments work together to share experiences on what drives economic, social and environmental change, seeking solutions to common problems.
For more about the OECD watch this brief video.
The mission of the OECD is to promote policies that will improve the economic and social well-being of people around the world.
You can find further details on their website https://www.oecd.org/.
The Executive Directorate (EXD) contributes to advance the Strategic Orientations of the Secretary-General and his “21 for 21” agenda, by preparing the corporate decision making of the SG, in coordination with the Office of the Secretary-General (OSG), and by enabling the Organisation in the following areas: financial and human resources management, information technology and internal communications services, conference management and security, translation and interpretation, knowledge and information management (in coordination with the Public Affairs and Communications Directorate) and all operational services including building infrastructure and logistics. EXD employs a team of about 490 staff members (including accountants, human resources specialists, translators and interpreters, and IT specialists), who enable work across a broad range of management policy and services areas.
Programme, Budget and Financial Management Service (PBF)
The Programme, Budget and Financial Management Service (EXD/PBF) in EXD ensures effective and efficient financial, administrative, communications and management practices within the Organisation On behalf of the Secretary-General, EXD/PBF provides stewardship of the Organisation’s financial resources, and employs 109 staff members. In particular it:
- Contributes to shaping financial and budget policy
- Coordinates the budget process
- Monitors and accounts for all income and expenditures,
- Supervises the procurement function,
- Hosts resource management systems activities,
- Prepares the OECD’s financial statements; and
- Supports OSG, Directorates and Part II Programmes in their financial activities
- Provides timely and regular reporting on information related to the functions above to the Secretary General and his Office.
Deputy Head of Service (PBF) Role Profile
EXD/PBF is seeking a Deputy Head of Service. The selected candidate will report to the Head of EXD/PBF and will play a key leadership role in delivering strategic and efficient services, enhancing management agility, ensuring alignment of all Divisions and Groups in the Service and promoting horizontal collaboration across the Service and with Directorates in the Organisation.
Given the EXD/PBF’s ambitious transformation programme, OECD are seeking a candidate who has a track record in innovation and change, who will actively break down silos and capitalise on synergies within the Service. S/he will work with EXD/PBF’s leadership to create and deliver a common strategy, transformation programme and cross-divisional collaboration within PBF. S/he will also act as a spokesperson for and representative of EXD/PBF.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Deputy Head of Service (PBF) will have the following key responsibilities:
Leadership, strategy and transformation
- Develop and implement a common strategy and transformation programme to deliver EXD/PBF's objectives, in line with the integrated approach of EXD.
- As part of the above, seek and implement best practice, drive opportunities for improvement and knowledge transfer, and respond to strategic challenges as needed, in particular contributing in re-thinking financing and financial management approach and capacity.
Management and operations
- Shape the establishment, management and governance of a Data and Regulatory Framework to drive data consistency within the Service, in collaboration with EXD Senior Strategic Advisor and others.
- Guide the co-ordination and management of EXD/PBF’s Programme of Work and support its delivery.
- Develop a framework for OECD financial terminology.
- Develop the Norms and Procedures Unit, in charge of Financial Instructions and Procedures, update, financial controls, delegations of authority management, into a team, working effectively across the whole of the EXD/PBF, EXD and the OECD.
- Foster transformation and horizontality.
- Lead the management and effective resolution of transversal financial matters within EXD/PBF and ensure a close, optimised and efficient co-ordination of activities in the Service.
- Ensure that all financial systems are interconnected and aligned with the financial management needs of the Organisation, in order to provide timely, accurate and consistent data, insights, analyses and options in his/her area of expertise.
- Support the Executive Director and the EXD/PBF Head of Service in representing the Secretariat in the Budget Committee and preparing its meetings and decisions. Under their guidance, provide support to member countries related to the work of the Budget Committee.
- In close collaboration with the Head of Norms and Procedures Unit, act as the Finance Community Co-ordinator, facilitating communication, co-ordination and collaboration across all finance-related activities in the OECD.
- Oversee audit and risk management activities within EXD/PBF, in collaboration with the EXD Executive Director’s Office.
- Actively contribute to the development of the EXD/PBF team as a whole, working with colleagues within EXD/PBF to foster and model innovation and simplification, and create an attractive and productive working environment.
- Supervise, motivate, and develop the team in the office of the Head of Service, providing guidance on effective working methods, good communication and promoting excellence through effective performance management and professional development of staff.
- Adhere to and role model to the highest standard, the values and ethical principles in the OECD's Code of Conduct, in all internal and external matters.
Communication and Collaboration
- With the Head of Service and Head of Performance and Resource Management (PRM), use all communication tools at disposal to ensure that staff are duly informed on any subject in order to achieve their objectives.
- Foster transparency and collaboration, both within EXD/PBF and EXD.
- Provide complete, accurate, consistent and timely advice, support and briefings to the Head of EXD/PBF and to the Executive Director.
- Actively engage with the broader OECD Community to build strong collaborative relationships with senior managers and colleagues across the Organisation, and to ensure effective communication, responsiveness and issue resolution.
- Build strategic external relationships and partnerships on behalf of the Service and the Directorate.
- Internal (inside the Secretariat): EXD/PBF Head of service, EXD/PBF Heads of Division and Group, Executive Director, EXD Head of Services, Deputy Head of Services, OSG, OECD Directors and Managers
- External (outside of the Secretariat): Auditors, Council, Budget Committee, Executive Committee, OECD Delegations
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Advanced university degree in business administration, management, finance, information systems or related discipline.
- Advanced professional qualifications in accountancy/budgeting.
- Master of Business Administration would be an asset.
- Minimum ten years’ experience in a relevant field, including at least five years in a management position in the administrative and financial department of a large international group or organisation.
- Experience in developing innovative solutions and leading teams through the development and implementation of transformative projects with proven ability to motivate, mentor and empower individuals to achieve expectations and goals.
- A proven track record of engagement at senior levels of administration, preferably in a multi-cultural environment.
- Accounting, Planning and Budget-related expertise.
- Financial management, including knowledge of financial software applications, large accounting systems and tools.
- People management.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal, written and communication skills.
- Fluency in one of the two OECD official languages (English and French) and knowledge of the other, with a commitment to reach a good working level.
- Knowledge of other languages would be an asset.
The following competencies are of particular importance for this role:
- Achievement focus, Drafting skills, Managing resources and Developing talent, Teamwork and Team leadership, Client focus, Diplomatic Sensitivity, Influencing, Organisational knowledge, Organisational alignment and Strategic thinking.
- Please refer to the level 5 indicators of the OECD Core Competencies.
Terms of Appointment
This is a 3-year fixed term appointment with the possibility of renewal.
What the OECD offers
Monthly base salary starting from 9 920 EUR, plus allowances based on eligibility, exempt of French income tax.
Please note that the appointment may be made at a lower grade based on the qualifications and professional experience of the selected applicant.
The OECD is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes the applications of all qualified candidates [who are nationals of OECD member countries, irrespective of their racial or ethnic origin, opinions or beliefs, gender, sexual orientation, health or disabilities.
The OECD promotes an optimal use of resources in order to improve its efficiency and effectiveness. Staff members are encouraged to actively contribute to this goal.
Key Step in the Selection Process
If you wish to be considered for this position, please forward a copy of your CV in Microsoft Word format, along with any relevant documentation to Mr. Colm Ashe at [email protected] by January 5th, 2020. All information will be treated in the strictest confidence as we pride ourselves on our professional service. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.
SRI Executive is exclusively retained by OECD to undertake this assignment.