Assistant Administrator & Director, BMS
UNDP is the UN's global development network, an organization advocating for change and connecting countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help build nations that can withstand crisis, and drive and sustain the kind of growth that improves the quality of life for everyone. UNDP works in nearly 170 countries and territories, helping to achieve the eradication of poverty, and the reduction of inequalities and exclusion. We help countries to develop policies, leadership skills, partnering abilities, institutional capabilities and build resilience in order to sustain development results UNDP is working to strengthen new frameworks for development, disaster risk reduction and climate change. We support countries' efforts to achieve the new Sustainable Development Goals, or Global Goals, which will guide global development priorities for the next 15 years.
The Bureau of Management Services (BMS) is the central operations Bureau in UNDP Headquarters that supports the organization in the following areas: human resources, finance and administration, budget, procurement, information management and technology, legal affairs, security, and multi-partner trust funds. It provides operational/management infrastructure services and solutions for UNDP to achieve programme and development results.
BMS oversees policy adherence in operations/management, safeguarding UNDP’s accountability vis-à-vis United Nations Member States and other relevant partners. BMS is based in UNDP Headquarters, New York, with out-posted presence in Denmark, Malaysia, and a small number of geographical clusters.
You can find more details on their website https://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home.html
Assistant Administrator and Director, Bureau for Management Services
The Assistant Secretary General and Director, Bureau for Management Services (BMS) reports to the Administrator of UNDP. He/She is a member of UNDP’s Executive Group and contributes to shaping and monitoring overall corporate strategic directions. The Bureau Director leads the Bureau to deliver high performance and quality on three critical business functions:
- Corporate services which are customer focused, providing efficient, reliable, responsive and quality services
- Strategic corporate advice in key areas, including a strategy to ensure financial sustainability, a people capability strategy and an improved performance management system
- Governance, compliance and risk management
Duties and Responsibilities
The principal functions of the position include the following:
- Participates in UNDP’s highest-level corporate decision-making body, the Executive Group (EG) contributing to strategic directions for the organization as a whole
- Leads and manages BMS and works collaboratively and collegiately across UNDP to achieve outcomes and results in line with UNDP’s Strategic Plan and Annual Business Plan
- Shapes strategic thinking, including formulation of operations/management strategies, policies, and business processes/solutions in line with best practice
- Provides strategic direction and support to all aspects of operations/management and business support services of UNDP including human resources, finance and administration, budget, procurement, legal affairs, information systems and technology (ICT), security, management consulting services, and Multi-Partner Trust Funds
- Identifies existing and emerging challenges and priorities in UNDP’s operations/management system, analyses them, implements measures to improve effectiveness and efficiencies and pursues innovative solutions
- Acts as the Chief Procurement Officer of UNDP
- Performs functions linked to staff separation, disciplinary measures and legal disputes as per UNDP’s Legal Framework for Addressing Non-Compliance with UN Standards of Conduct and other legal instruments
- Leads enterprise risk management (ERM) and promotes an optimum accountability system for the organization
- Builds relevant strategic partnerships with key stakeholders, both internal and external, to carry out UNDP’s mission and achieve results
- Leads and advises on UNDP positioning on management areas in support of UN Reform efforts
- Represents UNDP and leads inter-agency dialogue and initiatives in the area of management at the CEB High Level Committee on Management (HLCM) and other high-level forums
- Leads by example and encourages excellence, professionalism, competence, integrity and ethics and values enshrined in the UN Charter
- Guides, mentors and develops a team of BMS senior managers in New York, Copenhagen, and other out-posted offices
- Oversees and is responsible for Bureau’s operations in financial, human resources, procurement and general administration
- Demonstrated ability to identify high level strategic issues, opportunities and risks, develop organizational strategies to meet objectives, and generate and communicate organizational direction and expected outcomes to all stakeholders
- Proven track record of excellent management, leadership and representation skills; demonstrated effectiveness in establishing productive relationships and networks to achieve outcomes; strong people management skills; demonstrated competence for incorporating gender perspectives; demonstrated personal drive and commitment to organizational objectives; proven experience in leading change and shifting organizational culture.
- Managing complexity and change, with concrete examples of leading a major change management program in a global organization
- Demonstrated ability to provide strategic direction in the provision of high-quality corporate services
- Demonstrated excellence in successful management of a complex portfolio of corporate responsibilities including sharp analytical ability and translating goals into practical implementation strategies
- Proven ability to build organizational capability and responsiveness to achieve outcomes
- Mature judgment and initiative.
- Influential and confident oral and written communication skills
- Proven ability to negotiate persuasively and achieve objectives
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective inter-personal relationships in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegiately with internal and external stakeholders to achieve corporate goals; capacity to anticipate and address difficult issues; demonstrated commitment to acting ethically and with integrity and commitment to the values enshrined in the UN Charter.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree in management and development - related disciplines, such as Economics, Business Administration, Public Administration or other relevant areas.
- A minimum of 15 years of relevant professional experience, with a strong record of progressively responsible, substantive experience and results achievement in the corporate management field, particularly in large organisations. Senior experience at the international level, including in operations/corporate functions, inter-agency and international co-operation, negotiation of partnerships and management of resources are especially relevant. The candidate will have held leadership roles and demonstrated his/her ability to advocate for effective solutions.
- Proficiency in English;
- Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
If you wish to be considered for this position, please forward a copy of your CV in Microsoft Word format, along with any relevant documentation to Ms. Danna Villamayor at [email protected] on or before 26 April 2019. All information will be treated in the strictest confidence as we pride ourselves on our professional service. We will revert to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application.