IFC Director, Corporate Information and Technology and Chief Information Officer
IFC Director, Corporate Information and Technology and
Chief Information Officer
Background / General Description
Innovation and partnership bond the five institutions of the World Bank Group (WBG): the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD) and the International Development Association (IDA), which together form the World Bank; the International Finance Corporation (IFC); the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA); and the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). The World Bank Group is one of the world's largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries. It uses financial resources and extensive experience to help our client countries to reduce poverty, increase economic growth, and improve quality of life. To ensure that countries can access the best global expertise and help generate cutting-edge knowledge, the World Bank Group is constantly seeking to improve the way it works. Key priorities include delivering measurable results, promoting openness and transparency in development, and improving access to development information and data.
Information and Technology Solutions (ITS) enables the WBG to achieve its mission of ending extreme poverty by 2030 and boosting shared prosperity in a sustainable manner by delivering transformative information and technologies to its staff working in over 130 client countries. ITS services range from: establishing the infrastructure to reach and connect staff and development stakeholders; providing the devices and agile technology and information applications to facilitate the science of delivery through decentralized services; creating and maintaining tools to integrate information across the World Bank Group, the clients we serve and the countries where we operate; and delivering the computing power staff need to analyze development challenges and identify solutions. The ITS business model combines dedicated business solutions centers that provide services tailored to specific World Bank Group business needs and shared services that provide infrastructure, applications and platforms for the entire Group.
The Corporate Information Technologies (CIT) department is part of IFC’s Corporate Strategy & Resources (CSTVP) Vice Presidential Unit, which provides a seamless integration of strategy, resource allocation and metrics by integrating functions such as information technology, human resources, strategy, operational policies and procedures, and budget.
CIT provides state-of-the-art information and technology applications in support of IFC's Investment & Advisory Services, Financial Operations, Treasury & the Asset Management Company. The IFC CIO holds primary responsibility for ensuring that IFC’s Information Technology investments efficiently and effectively enable the business strategies and business processes of the Corporation. CIT works with IFC staff and clients to design solutions that help enable client responsiveness, improve organizational effectiveness, and manage risks. CIT is committed to delivering business solutions that deliver value for money while continuing to excel at the basics. CIT’s key responsibility is providing IFC with an integrated digital platform that connects policies, processes, people, and knowledge across the institution in a holistic and staff-centric manner.
The Corporate Information Technologies department is also responsible for maintaining a robust and strong partnership with the broad range of business units within IFC, and for aligning business and IT strategy to ensure that IFC’s business objectives are met by IT.
Solutions provided by CIT ensure that the IFC systems and applications meet the business needs of users, across a range of functions including operations and corporate business processes, information, knowledge and learning, data and analytics, financial processing and accounting, middle office operations and more. Solutions leverage modern digital delivery models that incorporate design thinking, modern application architectures, cloud platforms, data engineering and science, DevOps, agile, and more. Whenever possible and relevant, CIT solutions integrate with broader ITS solutions simplifying the technology landscape for the World Bank Group.
This program has specific focus on driving collaboration and innovation, leveraging the latest technologies and tools.
About the position
Reporting to the IFC Vice President Corporate Strategy and Resources (CST) and to the Vice President and World Bank Group CIO, the CIO and Director of CIT is responsible for leading a staff complement of around 70, including several located offshore, the IFC CIO is also responsible for over hundreds of contractors in Washington and offshore, an annual administrative budget of approximately $90m and annual capital program expenditures of over $45m.
The IFC CIO will strengthen the client centric service delivery for the IFC business areas empowering IFC staff with the necessary tools to productively deliver on the IFC 3.0 strategy, within the context of best practices in enterprise architecture, modern sourcing techniques, modular design of solutions, and appropriate integration of IT services or platforms.
Core responsibilities include:
- management of the IT portfolio of business applications throughout the entire lifecycle from inception through implementation, deployment, maintenance, and retirement,
- minimization of gaps, redundancies, rework, and duplication of effort by coordinating new requirements with Business Sponsors and other CIT Business Portfolios,
- management and mentoring of IT staff to provide state-of-the-practice services as per industry standards in planning, developing, implementing and maintaining systems in a responsive and cost-effective manner,
- ensuring that projects within the portfolio are executed under strategic guidelines (technology standards, development methodology, outsourcing/offshoring, etc.),
- an in-depth understanding of the IFC business domains and its underlying processes and data and
- development and execution of an Operations systems and Knowledge Solutions strategy for the IFC.
The IFC CIO must have a combination of technical understanding, client relationship, financial management experience, proven leadership, and pragmatism to take stock of the current state of the portfolio and make improvements in a decisive and objective manner to strengthen overall client satisfaction, cost effectiveness and delivery of projects and enable the transformation of the portfolio to meet modern standards and client expectations. The ability to lead the team for optimal delivery is an essential facet of this position.
Master's degree in Computer Science, Business, or relevant discipline with a minimum of 20 years progressively responsible experience in information services, web and mobile services or related field in international organizations, is required.
Knowledge & Experience Required
The nature of this function demands that it be led by a seasoned and strategic leader and manager with who can astutely influence across boundaries. S/he will have a deep technical understanding and keen business analytic ability with experience in the design, delivery and marketing of information, data and technology services to clients.
Strategy, Leadership & Management:
- A strong strategic and business mindset, excellent organizational and leadership skills, and outstanding written and spoken communication skills and interpersonal abilities with the capability to present complex scenarios and issues to executive management
- Exceptional influencing and negotiation skills and an ability to work across multiple business units concurrently; A perceptive and diplomatic ability to sort out cost-effective and common approaches that meet identified business requirements
- A robust, cross-functional perspective to be able to bridge the business to information technology gap
- Proven ability to manage a complex line of business within an organization including products, policies and procedures, governance structures, budget management, financial management and risk management. The line of business should include financial transaction processing, management and accounting
- Proven ability to effectively partner with business stakeholders to build strong partnerships, foster good governance, ensure strategic business/IT alignment, and transform client and partner relationships at senior level
- Strong conflict resolution skills, superior analytical and problem-solving capabilities
- A combination of technical understanding, financial management experience, leadership insight, and pragmatism to take stock of in-house situations of the portfolio and make improvements in a decisive and objective manner to improve overall client satisfaction and delivery of projects
- Ability to think out of the box, drive innovation, align key stakeholders toward a common goal and drive results and facilitate change
- Demonstrated ability to make timely and bold decisions that have broad impact across organizational boundaries and stakeholder groups, balancing speed and thoroughness even in the face of ambiguity
- Demonstrated success leading and managing large, diverse, and multi-functional teams in multiple locations spread across the world
- Confidence to be a "thought leader" in IT beyond WBG, and participating in innovation panels, conferences, and forums to strategically raise the profile of IFC/WGB as a leader in IT innovation for better delivery of services that will ultimately directly impact development
- 10+ years of relevant IT experience in the application development and maintenance field, including thorough understanding of business processes and required technology capabilities within a global organization
- High level of technology awareness and good knowledge of the disruptive technology trends especially in the fields of data science, analytics, automation, machine learning
- Experience at a senior management level in designing, developing, implementing and overseeing very large and complex centralized and globally distributed institutional systems
- Up-to-date, best practice experience with SDLC, including management of on-site/offshore development teams and leading effective outsourced IT teams
- Excellent understanding of portfolio and project management principles, including applicability of SDLC, Agile, and DevOps. Expertise in software technical design, planning, project management, implementation and support for a variety of Enterprise Applications Solutions (including Enterprise Resource Planning, business process optimization, information and knowledge management, and business intelligence domains)
- Ability to direct and organize IT-related projects, to recruit and direct IT staff members, and mastery at establishing strategic service provider partnerships
- Demonstrated success designing, leading, and executing technology strategies and large-scale IT-enabled business transformation initiatives across a global organization
- Experience leading multiple technical initiatives through cross-functional, matrix environments using strong program and project management tools and practices
- Proven experience in managing and negotiating with global and niche IT service vendors, including leveraging fixed price contracts, managed service contracts, staff augmentation frameworks, and other sourcing models to ensure optimal delivery of expertise at the right price point
- Strong knowledge of application delivery technologies and trends, including proven experience modernizing application portfolios across business and technology aspects
- Experience in deployment, integration, and on-going management of Enterprise Applications
- Knowledge and practical experience across a formal systems development life cycle, from business requirements analysis through to day-to-day management.
- Proficiency in managing risk in IT application delivery environments
- Solid understanding of data analysis, budgeting and business operations, including the timely management and delivery of large capital programs
- Strong experience in working with distributed vendor teams and the associated challenges
- Deep experience working on various procurement models for efficient and cost-effective delivery of IFC applications and assets
- Courage of your Convictions
- Leading the Team for Impact
- Influencing Across Boundaries
- Fostering Openness to New Ideas
- Building Talent for the Future
- Lead and Innovate
- Deliver Results for Clients
- Collaborate within Teams and Across Boundaries
- Create, Apply and Share Knowledge
- Make Smart Decisions
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time position with the successful candidate being contracted on a 3-year basis with the possibility of renewal. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
This position will be based in Washington, DC, United States.
IFC and the World Bank Group will collaborate with SRI Executive in the search for a stellar candidate to take up this exciting and challenging appointment.
Should you wish to apply for this position, we kindly ask you to submit your CV (in word format) for consideration via [email protected]
For questions around this vacancy or to view a more comprehensive job description, please submit your query to us via [email protected] We will reply to you promptly.