President - Area Manager, EM Americas
Cardno has been delivering practical, innovative and sustainable solutions in international development for 50 years. We analyse and reflect on this experience to provide agile and adaptive management and technical solutions, continuing to adapt to the needs of our clients with measurable impact and sustainable results. This rests on our commitment to investing in communities where we work, localising our operations wherever possible
The President/Area Manager (AM) will strategically manage the Area’s resources and operations in order to grow existing business and investigate new business opportunities. The AM will be required to manage a global team and successfully partner with both public and private clients in order to maintain existing relationships as well as actively seek new business opportunities and grow our pipeline. The AM will also be required to work in partnership with the broader Cardno business embracing the “One Cardno” Vision.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop business plans, annual budgets and profit targets in consultation with the Division Manager for the Area.
- Provide advice, police development and decision-making support to the office and maintain positive relationships with key senior internal stakeholders.
- Achieve set business objectives through motivated, committed and skilled personnel.
- Work in partnership with the Division Manager to develop and provide vision and direction to personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee a large portfolio of projects spanning across multiple countries and sectors, including physical and social infrastructure as well as private clients.
- Be a Cardno Change Management Champion to promote global change efforts.
- Excellent communication and personal skills well suited to building business relationship with existing and potential clients at a senior level.
- Innovative and intuitive approach to researching key target markets and new opportunities, combined with advanced evaluation, reporting and decision-making skills with a results-driven focus.
- Effectively manage new key relationships, from initial contact, inquiries and proposals, through project delivery and ongoing follow-up, and involve the Division Manager to support these relationships as appropriate.
- Ability to relate to and deliver solutions to clients based on their business needs.
- Represent Cardno in a professional manner and present EM’s capabilities in keeping with Cardno’s business goals and cultural values.
- Attend events that add value to the relationship-building process.
- Advise on and assist with developing business structures and personnel recommendations within the team to maximize the results of the Business Development function.
- Manage the Area to deliver a bottom line profit in line with budget or better.
- The AM is accountable for achieving agreed levels of performance and is required to monitor and report monthly on:
- Productivity & Fees
- Submissions & Markets Action
- Job Overruns
- Actual Expenses compared against the Budget (excluding recoverables)
- Profit compared against the Budget
- Cash Flow – Report on Unbilled Work in Progress
- Cash Flow – Debt Collection Actions
- Quality Assurance Compliance
- Work in Hand
- Implement finance management systems and periodically review to ensure compliance with statutory obligations and requirements.
- Advise Division Manager in a timely manner of any factors that may impact the Area’s financial position.
- Conduct regular reviews to ensure effective utilization of resources.
- Prepare monitoring and review budgets in a timely manner with accurate reporting to the Division Manager.
- Ensure risk management policies, procedure and programs and clearly defined and achieved.
- Personnel Management Actions (including staff training and performance reviews and taking appropriate action to correct poor performance).
- Oversee management of the office team to provide quality support to Cardno activities, in a timely and cost-efficient manner.
- Implement human resource management plans, systems, procedures and programs.
- Comply with relevant Award requirements and legislation.
- Provide opportunities whereby the skills of all staff maybe continuously upgraded.
- Implement modern management techniques and systems to reinforce staff involvement in Area’s operations, promote effective team work, measure performance and reinforce appropriate levels of delegation and authority.
- Instil and maintain a positive workplace and organization culture.
- Engage and terminate staff as required.
- Lead and manage resources in an effective and efficient manner and in accordance with policy and procedures.
- Develop systems that encourage employees to show initiative and provide suggestions, leading to best practice outcomes, innovation, greater efficiency and/or reduced costs.
Quality Assurance & Safety
- Implement and comply with Cardno’s Quality Management System and provide feedback and recommendations where the system may need modification.
- Comply with the organization’s Zero Harm policy and seeks to continually improve safety across our business.
- Embrace a reporting culture where all safety issues are promptly reported and addressed.
- Compliance with all Workplace Health & Safety legislations.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Experience and Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in an international development related field is required.
- 20+ years of experience working within the international development assistance industry with at least five years’ experience in senior management position, CEO or equivalent Executive Management in a government contracting environment with supervision of a staff of 10 or more.
- Demonstrated success expanding organizational portfolios into new markets and securing funding from major bilateral donor entities including USAID, USDA, DOS, OTI, and OFDA.
- Demonstrated success at building relationships with clients at a senior level and internal senior executives.
- Experience in a senior business development role.
- Understanding of Client reporting requirements and financial management systems.
- Background in the international development assistance industry, with relevance to the operations of Cardno Emerging Markets.
- Ability to deliver strong and decisive leadership.
- Ability to commit to interstate travel and attend events after and/or outside of normal work hours.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience in project management with the ability to plan and coordinate project implementation activities including reporting, human resources, finance, logistics and administrative functions.
- Ability to develop and implement administrative systems in a complex environment.
- Understanding of Client reporting requirements and financial management systems as well as the Commonwealth Procurement Guidelines.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- High level of interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to take on a variety of tasks that may be required to ensure efficient operations of the Area and Business Units.
- Ability to work as part of a remote administration team as well as work autonomously.
- Ability to use initiative and make decisions when completing tasks required, ensuring key roles are completed within the required time frames and when asking for more work.
- Accurate numerical work and attention to detail.
- Excellent conceptual and writing skills with the ability to lead proposal efforts.
- Ability to perform and prioritize a variety of tasks within assigned deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience working in developing countries a plus.
- Must be able to travel in support of business development activities as well as project implementation.
- Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills a must; proficiency in a second language preferred.
- Immediate to Advanced skills in computer applications, primarily MS Office Suite – Word, Excel and Outlook
Terms of Appointment
This is a full-time position. Salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience. Cardno is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes the applications of all qualified candidates, irrespective of their racial or ethnic origin, opinions or beliefs, gender, sexual orientation, health or disabilities. Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States.
Key Steps in the Selection Process
SRI Executive has been retained by the Cardno to conduct a search for a suitably qualified individual to undertake the position of President - Area Manager. If this position is of interest to you, and you meet the requirements, please forward a copy of your Cover Letter and CV in Microsoft Word on or before January 28th, 2019 to: Mr. Patrick Manhire at [email protected]. Please reference ''8150 – President - Area Manager ’' in the subject line. Thank you for your interest and we will reply to you as soon as feasible when we have reviewed your application and it is found to be aligned with Cardno's requirements.